Acalanes Union HSD | AR 4040 Personnel
Employee Use of Technology
The Acalanes Union High School District recognizes the value of computer and other electronic resources to improve student learning and enhance the administration and operation of its schools. To this end, the Governing Board encourages the responsible use of computers; computer networks, including the Internet; and other electronic resources in support of the mission and goals of the Acalanes Union High School District and its schools.
Because the Internet is an unregulated, worldwide vehicle for communication, information available to staff and students is impossible to control. Therefore, the AUHSD Governing Board adopts this policy governing the voluntary use of electronic resources and the Internet in order to provide guidance to individuals and groups obtaining access to these resources through the AUHSD network.
(cf. 0440 - District Technology Plan)
(cf. 1100 - Communication with the Public)
(cf. 1113 - District and School Web Sites)
Acalanes Union High School District Rights and Responsibilities
It is the policy of the Acalanes Union High School District to maintain an environment that promotes ethical and responsible conduct in all online network activities by staff and students. It shall be a violation of this policy for any employee, student, or other individual to engage in any activity that does not conform to established board policy BP 4040 and administrative regulation AR 4040. Within this general policy, the Acalanes Union High School District recognizes its legal and ethical obligation to protect the well-being of students in its charge. To this end, the Acalanes Union High School District retains the following rights and recognizes the following obligations:
1. To log network use and to monitor fileserver space utilization by users, and assume no responsibility or liability for files deleted due to violation of fileserver space allotments.
2. To create or remove a user account on the network.
3. To monitor the use of online activities. This may include real-time monitoring of network activity and/or maintaining a log of Internet activity for later review.
4. To provide internal and external controls as appropriate and feasible. Such controls shall include the right to determine who will have access to - the AUHSD network and, specifically, to exclude those who do not abide by the Acalanes Union High School District's acceptable use policy or other policies governing the use of school facilities, equipment, and materials. Acalanes Union High School District reserves the right to restrict online destinations through software or other means.
5. To provide guidelines and make reasonable efforts to train staff and students in acceptable use and policies governing online communications.
1. Staff members who supervise students, control electronic equipment, or otherwise have occasion to observe student use of said equipment online shall make reasonable efforts to monitor the use of this equipment to assure that it conforms to the mission and goals of the Acalanes Union High School District.
2. Staff should make reasonable efforts to become familiar with the Internet and its use so that effective monitoring, instruction, and assistance may be achieved.
Use of the electronic media provided by the Acalanes Union High School District is a resource that offers a wealth of information and resources. Where available, these resources are offered to staff, students, and other patrons at no cost. The district provides electronic mail to staff members to enable them to communicate effectively and efficiently with other members of staff, parents, students, and partner organizations. In order to maintain these resources, users agree to learn and comply with all of the provisions of this policy.
1. All use of the Internet must be in support of educational and research objectives consistent with the mission and objectives of the Acalanes Union High School District.
2. Network accounts are to be used only by the authorized owner of the account for the authorized purpose.
3. It should be assumed that no communications and information accessible via the network are private.
4. Exhibit exemplary behavior on the network as a representative of the district, school and community.
5. From time to time, the Acalanes Union High School District will make determinations on whether specific uses of the network are consistent with the acceptable use practice.
6. Do not disclose student information for anything other than legitimate educational purposes. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) governs the privacy of student educational records and prohibits the release of private student information without written consent except in specified situations. The district discloses student information only with the parent's and/or student's written consent, except as specified by FERPA. However, nothing in this Regulation alters the district's duty to inform teachers of student misconduct under Education Code section 49079.
7. Acalanes Union High School District employees and authorized third parties (customers, vendors, etc.) are permitted to use remote connections to gain access to the district's network. It is the responsibility of employees with remote access privileges to ensure that a remote connection to Acalanes Union High School District is not used by non-employees to gain access to district information system resources. Employees who are granted remote access privileges must remain constantly aware that remote connections between their location and Acalanes Union High School District are literal extensions of Acalanes Union High School District's network, and that they provide a potential path to the district's most sensitive information. The employee and/or authorized third party individual must take every reasonable measure to protect Acalanes Union High School District's assets.
(cf. 0410 - Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities)
(cf. 5125 - Student Records)
(cf. 5125.1 - Release of Directory Information)
(cf. 6163.4 - Student Use of Technology)
1. Giving out personal information about another employee or student, including home address, email address and phone number without authorization is strictly prohibited.
2. Any use of the network for commercial or for-profit purposes is prohibited.
3. Excessive use of the network for personal business may be cause for disciplinary action.
4. Any use of the network for product advertisement or political lobbying is prohibited.
5. Users shall not intentionally seek information on, obtain copies of, or modify files, other data, or passwords belonging to other users, or misrepresent other users on the network.
6. No use of the network shall serve to disrupt the use of the network by others. Hardware and/or software shall not be destroyed or abused in any way. Modifications should not be made without authorization.
7. Malicious use of the network to develop programs that harass other users or infiltrate a computer or computing system and/or damage the software components of a computer or computing system is prohibited.
8. Hate mail, chain letters, harassment, discriminatory remarks, and other antisocial behaviors are prohibited on the network.
9. The unauthorized installation of any software, including shareware and freeware, for use on Acalanes Union High School District computers is prohibited.
10. Use of the network to access or process pornographic material, inappropriate text files (as determined by the system administrator or building administrator), or files dangerous to the integrity of the local area network is prohibited.
11. The Acalanes Union High School District network may not be used for downloading entertainment software or other files not related to the mission and objectives of the Acalanes Union High School District for transfer to a user's home computer, personal computer, or other media. This prohibition pertains to freeware, shareware, copyrighted commercial and non-commercial software, and all other forms of software and files not directly related to the instructional and administrative purposes of the Acalanes Union High School District.
12. Downloading, copying, otherwise duplicating, and/or distributing copyrighted materials without the specific written permission of the copyright owner is prohibited, except when duplication and/or distribution of materials for educational purposes is permitted when such duplication and/or distribution would fall within the Fair Use Doctrine of the United States Copyright Law (Title 17, USC).
13. Use of the network for any unlawful purpose is prohibited.
14. Use of profanity, obscenity, discriminatory, or other language that may be offensive to another user is prohibited.
15. Playing games is prohibited unless specifically authorized by a teacher for instructional purposes.
16. Establishing non-educational or non-job related network or Internet connections to live communications, including voice and/or video (relay chat), is prohibited unless specifically authorized by the system administrator.
17. Subscription to non-educational or non-job related mailing lists and bulletin boards using an AUHSD email account is prohibited.
(cf. 4118 - Dismissal/Suspension/Disciplinary Action)
(cf. 4218 - Dismissal/Suspension/Disciplinary Action)
1. The Acalanes Union High School District cannot be held accountable for the information that is retrieved via the network.
2. Pursuant to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (18 USC 2510 et seq.), notice is hereby given that there are no facilities provided by this system for sending or receiving private or confidential electronic communications. System administrators have access to all electronic mail and will monitor messages. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities will be reported to the appropriate authorities.
3. The Acalanes Union High School District will not be responsible for any damages, including loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, or service interruptions caused by negligence, errors or omissions. Use of any information obtained is at the user's risk.
4. The Acalanes Union High School District makes no warranties (expressed or implied) with respect to:
a. The content of any advice or information received by a user, or any costs or charges incurred as a result of seeing or accepting any information; and
b. Any costs, liability, or damages caused by the way the user chooses to use his or her access to the network.
5. The Acalanes Union High School District reserves the right to change its policies and rules at any time.
52295.10-52295.55 Implementation of Enhancing Education Through Technology grant program
3543.1 Rights of employee organizations
502 Computer crimes, remedies
632 Eavesdropping on or recording confidential communications
23123 Wireless telephones in vehicles
23123.5 Mobile communication devices; text messaging while driving
23125 Wireless telephones in school buses
UNITED STATES CODE, TITLE 47
254 Universal service discounts (E-rate)
CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS, TITLE 47
54.520 Internet safety policy and technology protection measures, E-rate discounts
UNITED STATES CODE, TITLE 20
6751-6777 Education Through Technology Act, Title II, Part D
6777 Internet Safety
City of Ontario v. Quon et al. (2010) 000 U.S. 08-1332
California Department of Education: http://www.cde.ca.gov
Federal Communications Commission: http://www.fcc.gov
U.S. Department of Education: http://www.ed.gov
American Library Association: http://www.ala.org
Regulation ACALANES UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: September 3, 1996 Lafayette, California
revised: December 14, 2005
revised: June 29, 2016