Antelope Valley Union HSD | BB 9000 Board Bylaws
Role Of The Board And Members (Powers, Purposes, Duties)
The Board of Trustees is elected by the community to provide leadership and citizen oversight of the district's schools. The Board shall work with the Superintendent to fulfill its major roles, which include:
1. Setting a direction for the district.
2. Providing a basic organizational structure for the district by establishing policies.
3. Ensuring accountability.
4. Providing community leadership on behalf of the district and public education.
(cf. 9005 - Governance Standards)
(cf. 9200 - Members)
(cf. 9400 - Board Self-Evaluation)
To fulfill these basic responsibilities, the Board shall:
1. Involve the community, parents/guardians, students and staff in developing a common vision for the district focused on learning and achievement and responsive to the needs of all students.
(cf. 0000 - Vision)
(cf. 0100 - Philosophy)
(cf. 0200 - Goals for the School District)
2. Adopt, evaluate and update policies consistent with the law and the district's vision and goals.
(cf. 9311 - Board Policies)
(cf. 9312 - Board Bylaws)
3. Maintain accountability for student learning by adopting the district curriculum and monitoring student progress
(cf. 0500 - Accountability)
(cf. 6010 - Goals and Objectives)
(cf. 6011 - Academic Standards)
(cf. 6141 - Curriculum Development and Evaluation)
(cf. 6146.1 - High School Graduation Requirements)
(cf. 6146.5 - Elementary/Middle School Graduation Requirements)
(cf. 6162.5 - Student Assessment)
(cf. 6162.52 - High School Exit Examination)
(cf. 6190 - Evaluation of the Instructional Program)
4. Hire and support the Superintendent so that the vision, goals and policies of the district can be implemented.
(cf. 2121 - Superintendent's Contract)
(cf. 2122 - Superintendent of Schools: Responsibilities and Duties)
5. Conduct regular and timely evaluations of the Superintendent based on the vision, goals and performance of the district, and ensure that the Superintendent holds district personnel accountable.
(cf. 2123 - Evaluation of the Superintendent)
(cf. 4000 - Concepts and Roles)
(cf. 4111 - Recruitment and Selection)
(cf. 4115 - Evaluation/Supervision)
(cf. 4211- Recruitment and Selection)
(cf. 4215 - Evaluation/Supervision)
(cf. 4311- Recruitment and Selection)
(cf. 4315 - Evaluation/Supervision)
6. Adopt a fiscally responsible budget based on the district's vision and goals, and regularly monitor the fiscal health of the district.
(cf. 3000 - Concepts and Roles)
(cf. 3100 - Budget)
(cf. 3312 - Contracts)
(cf. 3460 - Financial Reports and Accountability)
7. Ensure that a safe and appropriate educational environment is provided to all students.
(cf. 0450 - Comprehensive Safety Plan)
(cf. 3516 - Emergencies and Disaster Preparedness Plan)
(cf. 7110 - Facilities Master Plan)
(cf. 7150 - Site Selection and Development)
(cf. 7210 - Facilities Financing)
8. Establish a framework for the district's collective bargaining process and adopt responsible agreements.
(cf. 4143/4243 - Negotiations/Consultation)
9. Provide community leadership on educational issues and advocate on behalf of students and public education at the local, state and federal levels.
(cf. 0510 - School Accountability Report Card)
(cf. 1020 - Youth Services)
(cf. 1100 - Communication with the Public)
(cf. 1112 - Media Relations)
(cf. 1160 - Political Processes)
(cf. 1400 - Relations between Other Governmental Agencies and the Schools)
(cf. 1700 - Relations between Private Industry and the Schools)
(cf. 9010 - Public Statements)
10. Convene as a judicial and appeals body and serve as the final decision-maker in accordance with law, Board policies and negotiated agreements.
(cf. 1312 - Complaints Concerning the Schools)
(cf. 1312.1 - Complaints Concerning District Employees)
(cf. 1312.3 - Uniform Complaint Procedures)
(cf. 4031 - Complaints Concerning Discrimination in Employment)
(cf. 4117.3 - Personnel Reduction)
(cf. 4117.4 - Dismissal)
(cf. 4218 - Dismissal/Suspension/Disciplinary Action)
(cf. 5116.1 - Intradistrict Open Enrollment)
(cf. 5117 - Interdistrict Attendance)
(cf. 5119 - Students Expelled from Other Districts)
(cf. 5125.3 - Challenging Student Records)
(cf. 5144.1 - Suspension and Expulsion/Due Process)
(cf. 6159.1 - Procedural Safeguards and Complaints for Special Education)
(cf. 6164.6 - Identification and Education Under Section 504)
The Board is authorized to establish and finance any program or activity that is not in conflict with, inconsistent with, or preempted by law. (Education Code 35160)
5304 Duties of governing board (re school district elections)
33319.5 Implementation of authority of local agencies
35000 District name
35010 Control of district; prescription and enforcement of rules
Professional Governance Standards, November 2000
Maximizing School Board Leadership, 1996
Bylaw ANTELOPE VALLEY UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: November 13, 1990 Lancaster, California
revised: August 22, 2001