(a) "Small city" means a city with a population of 100,000 or less, as determined by the annual city total population rankings by the Demographic Research Unit of the Department of Finance.
(b) "Eligible entity" means a school district or a special district.
(c) Notwithstanding Sections 1500 and 4000, an election in a small city or an eligible entity may be conducted wholly as an all-mail ballot election, subject to the following conditions:
(1) The legislative body of the small city or the governing body of the eligible entity, by resolution, authorizes the use of mailed ballots for the election.
(2) The election is a special election to fill a vacancy in the legislative body or governing body.
(3) The election is not held on the same date as a statewide primary or general election.
(4) The election is not consolidated with any other election.
(5) The return of voted mail ballots is subject to Section 3017.
(Amended by Stats. 2005, Ch. 86, Sec. 2.)