Antelope Valley Union HSD | BP 4317.12 Personnel
Early Retirement Incentive Program
The Early Retirement Incentive Program provides that a non-leadership certificated employee may retire under the State Teachers Retirement System and, at the same time, enter into an agreement for independent contract services with the district in accordance with state law. Retirement, as used herein, does not include disability allowance or disability retirement.
Non-Leadership employees shall have reached the age of 55 and have served a minimum of ten years in the district. Non-Leadership employees wishing to participate in the early retirement incentive program shall submit a letter of application to the Personnel Services Office by March 1, in order to be considered for the program for the following school year. The number of participants in the program shall be determined each year by the Board of Trustees.
The deadline for return of the signed agreement shall be ten working days from the following:
1. A written agreement shall be prepared by the district setting forth the terms and conditions and the services mutually agreed upon by the non-leadership employee and district for the employee's service as an independent contractor.
2. The deadline for return of the signed agreement shall be ten working days from the date of the agreement offered by the district.
The district may extend the above-mentioned time requirements and date at its discretion.
The agreement for independent contract services shall be limited to the following provisions:
1. The term of the agreement shall be for a period of not more than five years or to the age of 65, whichever comes first.
2. The agreement may be terminated at any time by mutual agreement of the non-leadership employee and the district. The agreement may be discontinued at the end of the school year upon written request of the employee. The district may terminate the agreement at any time for violation of provisions of the agreement and/or for conduct unbecoming an employee of the district.
3. Participants shall be allowed to continue in the district health plan in the same manner as retirees under the regular retirement program.
The independent contract services agreement shall not exceed the equivalent of 25 days service and not more than $5,000 in any one year and may be for less than 25 days and less than $5,000 by mutual agreement.
The contract service may include, but is not limited to:
1. Curriculum writing.
2. Planning and conducting inservice sessions.
3. Evaluation of instructional materials and textbooks.
4. Administrative assignment.
5. Library services or support services.
6. Developing of instructional materials.
7. Planning and supervision of school-sponsored extracurricular activities.
8. Evaluating and categorizing school and district records.
9. Assistance in classrooms.
10. Any other service mutually agreed upon by the retiree and the district.
22119.5 Creditable service
22461 Notice of earnings limitation
22714 Encouragement of retirement
22714.5 2+2 service and year credit option under STRS
22715 Additional service credit
22716 Unpaid services
24214 Reemployment of retirant
24216 Payments to retirants in excess of limitation
35046 Consultancy contracts
41320.1 Appointment of trustee
44929 Service credit under STRS; additional two years
44929.1 2+2 service and year credit option under STRS
California State Teachers' Retirement System: http://www.calstrs.com
Policy ANTELOPE VALLEY UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: November 13, 1990 Lancaster, California