Antelope Valley Union HSD | AR 5143 Students
"Members of a school athletic team" include: (Education Code 32220)
1. Members of any extramural athletic team engaged in athletic events on or outside school grounds
2. Cheerleaders, drill teams and/or dance teams, or other groups whose practices and performances require a degree of physical activity that may risk injury beyond that of normal student activity in school events.
3. Team managers.
4. Other student groups listed in Education Code 32220 to the extent required in the Code.
Insurance for members of school athletic teams shall provide coverage for injury arising while students are: (Education Code 32221)
1. Engaging in or preparing for an athletic event sponsored or arranged by the district or student body organization
2. Being transported by the school district, or under its sponsorship, to and from the school and place of the athletic event
(cf. 3530 - Risk Management/Insurance)
(cf. 3541.1 - Transportation for School-Related Trips)
(cf. 3543 - Transportation Safety and Emergencies)
(cf. 5141.1 - Accidents)
(cf. 5141.6 - Student Health and Social Services)
(cf. 6145 - Extracurricular and Cocurricular Activities)
(cf. 6145.2 - Athletic Competition)
For such students, the district shall provide at least $1,500 for all medical and hospital expenses. (Education Code 32221)
Receipt of insurance benefits may be subject to the following conditions:
1. The Superintendent or designee shall certify whether an injured student applying for insurance benefits is a district student and is a member of an athletic team.
2. The injured student or his/her parents/guardians shall notify the Superintendent or designee of the injury not later than 60 days from the date of injury.
3. Medical or hospital care or treatment shall begin within 120 days from the date of injury.
4. The period of time for which benefits shall be payable shall be limited to 52 weeks from the date the student received his/her first medical or hospital care or treatment.
Other Athletic Activities
The Superintendent or designee shall provide written notification to the parents/guardians of all students participating in athletic activities, other than athletic teams, that the district does not provide or make available medical and hospital care or insurance for students who are injured while participating in athletic activities. (Education Code 49471)
(cf. 5145.6 - Parental Notifications)
(cf. 6142.7 - Physical Education)
Regulation ANTELOPE VALLEY UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: March 7, 2001 Lancaster, California