Antelope Valley Union HSD | BB 9121 Board Bylaws
The Board of Trustees shall elect a president from among its members to provide leadership on behalf of the Board and the educational community it serves.
(cf. 9000 - Role of the Board)
(cf. 9005 - Governance Standards)
(cf. 9100 - Organization)
The president shall preside at all Board of Trustees meetings. He/she shall:
1. Call the meeting to order at the appointed time.
2. Announce the business to come before the Board in its proper order.
3. Enforce the Board's policies relating to the conduct of meetings and help ensure compliance with applicable requirements of the Brown Act.
4. Recognize persons who desire to speak, and protect the speaker who has the floor from disturbance or interference.
5. Explain what the effect of a motion would be if it is not clear to every member.
6. Restrict discussion to the question when a motion is before the Board.
7. Rule on issues of parliamentary procedure.
8. Put motions to a vote, and state clearly the results of the vote.
9. Be responsible for the orderly conduct of all Board meetings.
(cf. 9323 - Meeting Conduct)
The president shall have all the rights of any member of the Board, including the right to move, second, discuss, and vote on all questions before the Board.
The president shall also perform other duties in accordance with law and Board policy including, but not limited to:
1. Signing all instruments, acts, and orders necessary to carry out state requirements and the will of the Board.
2. Consulting with the Superintendent or designee on the preparation of the Board's agendas.
(cf. 9322 - Agenda/Meeting Materials)
3. Working with the Superintendent to ensure that Board members have necessary materials and information
4. Subject to Board approval, appointing and dissolving all committees
(cf. 9130 - Board Committees)
5. Calling such meetings of the Board as he/she may deem necessary, giving notice as prescribed by law.
(cf. 9320 - Meetings and Notices)
(cf. 9321 - Closed Session Purposes and Agendas)
6. Conferring with the Superintendent or designee on crucial matters which may occur between Board meetings.
7. Sharing informational mail with other board members.
8. Representing the district as governance spokesperson, in conjunction with the Superintendent
(cf. 1112 - Media Relations)
9. Chairing the Superintendent's evaluation process as presented in Board policy 2140.
When the president resigns or is absent or disabled, the vice president shall perform the president's duties. When both the president and vice president are absent or disabled, the clerk shall perform the president's duties.
35022 President of the board
35143 Annual organizational meetings; dates and notice
Board Presidents' Handbook, revised 2002
CSBA Professional Governance Standards, 2000
Maximizing School Board Leadership: Boardsmanship, 1996
Bylaw ANTELOPE VALLEY UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: April 7, 1993 Lancaster, California
revised: September 5, 2001
revised: March 17, 2004