Aromas-San Juan USD | E 9000 Board Bylaws
Role Of The Board
BOARD AND SUPERINTENDENT OPERATING PROCEDURES
The Board of Trustees is the educational policymaking body for the District. To meet the District's challenges effectively, the Board and Superintendent must function together as a leadership team. To ensure unity among team members, effective operating procedures - or protocols - must be in place. There are general protocols and those that are specific for the Board and Superintendent.
General - The Board and Superintendent Will:
1.Be dedicated to make all members of the team successful.
2. Operate in an honorable and honest manner dedicated to the success of the students and staff of the District.
3.Treat others and be treated with dignity and respect.
Board Members Will:
1. Work with other Board Members and the Superintendent to become a team devoted to students.
2.Focus on policymaking, planning, and evaluation for student success.
3.Recognize that the Board makes decision as a whole only at properly scheduled meetings and that individual members have no authority to take individual action in policy or District/Site administrative matters.
4. Respond to complaints by referring complainant to the Superintendent.
5.Support decisions of the majority after honoring the right of individual members to express opposing viewpoints and vote their convictions.
6.Attend regularly scheduled Board meetings unless a situation occurs that makes attendance impossible.
7.Cooperate in scheduling special meetings and/or work sessions for planning and training purposes.
8.Acknowledge that individual Board Members may place an item on a meeting agenda, with the Superintendent having discretion as to when and what items shall be included while working closely with the President of the Board; individual requests for reports, projects, etc. will be directed to the Superintendent.
9. Uphold the legal requirement for confidentiality on all matters arising from Board meeting closed sessions; keep all conversations taking place in closed session absolutely confidential.
10.Recognize and respect the Superintendent's responsibility to manage the District and to direct employees in District/Site matters.
11. Understand the Superintendent's role to make personnel recommendations and changes in consultation with the Board.
12.Participate in establishing annual expectations and goals for the Superintendent.
13.Objectively evaluate the Superintendent's performance and provide appropriate feedback.
14.Participate in self-assessment of the Board's performance.
15.Communicate directly with the Superintendent when staff, students, parents, or community members raise a question or concern.
16. Communicate directly with the Superintendent prior to Board meetings to address questions and/or concerns about agenda items; honor the "no-surprises" protocol.
17.Communicate one-on-one with the Superintendent when an individual concern arises so as not to allow a matter to fester.
18. Cast a vote on all matters except when a conflict of interest arises. A Board Member may also abstain.
19.Recognize the individual role of constituents and special interest groups while understanding the importance of using one's best judgment to represent all members of the community.
20.As time permits, schedule school site visits and attend school functions, but avoid interrupting instruction or interrupting employees at work.
21.Represent the District, when possible, by attending community functions.
22.Ask for information, but do not give direction as an individual.
The Superintendent Will:
1.Work toward creating a team with the Board dedicated to students.
2.Respect and acknowledge the Board's role in setting policy and overseeing the performance of the Superintendent.
3.Work with the Board to establish a clear vision for the District.
4.Prepare preliminary goals annually for the Board's consideration.
5. Provide data to the Board Members so data-driven decisions can be made.
6.Distribute information fully and equally to all Board Members.
7.Communicate with Board Members promptly and effectively.
8.Inform the Board prior to critical information becoming public.
9.Share requests for information with all Board Members.
10. Distribute the Board agenda in a timely fashion and with enough time for Board study, and clarify information prior to scheduled meetings.
11.Respect the confidentiality requirement of Board meeting closed sessions; keep all conversations taking place in closed session strictly confidential.
12. Publicly introduce Board Members at any events Board Members attend.
13.Treat all Board Members professionally.
14.Communicate privately with individual Board Members to determine if concerns exist prior to a possible problem developing.
15.Conduct a self-assessment prior to the Board's evaluation of the Superintendent's job performance.
16.Complete the Board's self-assessment instruments for the Board's consideration.
17. Keep the Board informed regarding issues and/or situations that could possibly concern parents, students, staff, or community.
18.Bring to the attention of the Board Members matters that affect relationships.
19.Visit school sites regularly.
20.Represent the District in the community.
21.Endeavor to delegate duties to the appropriate persons.
Exhibit AROMAS-SAN JUAN UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
version: November 5, 2003 San Juan Bautista, California