Aromas-San Juan USD | AR 1325 Community Relations
Advertising And Promotion
No unauthorized printed materials or advertising may be distributed or posted on school grounds.
All noncommercial materials, advertising and materials regarding commercial products or services may be distributed or posted in district schools only when prior approval has been granted by the Superintendent or designee to ensure compliance with law, Board policy and administrative regulation.
All printed materials and advertising must be submitted to the district office for review and approval by the Superintendent or designee at least five (5) days in advance of posting, distribution, or submission for publication. Materials submitted for review and approval should include the name and contact information of the sponsoring party.
Students shall not distribute commercial advertising or promotional materials. Noncommercial materials approved by the Superintendent or designee may be disseminated by students on a voluntary basis.
Unless generated by the district, surveys or questionnaires requiring student or parent/guardian response also must be first approved by the Superintendent or designee.
(cf. 6162.8 - Research)
The use of promotional materials or advertisements does not imply district endorsement of any identified products or services. District schools shall include a disclaimer in all school-sponsored publications, yearbooks, announcements, and other school communications which include paid advertisements stating that the school does not endorse any advertised products or services.
The district shall not print, or pay the printing costs of any non-district sponsored materials or advertising.
Materials shall not be approved for distribution to students, posting on school property, or publication in school-sponsored publications if they:
1.Are obscene, libelous, or slanderous. (Education Code 48907)
2.Incite students to commit unlawful acts, violate school rules, or disrupt the orderly operation of the schools. (Education Code 48907)
3. Promote any particular political interest, candidate, party or ballot measure, unless such materials are being distributed at a forum in which candidates or advocates from all sides are presenting their views to the students during school hours or during events scheduled pursuant the Civic Center Act.
4. Discriminate against, attack or denigrate any group on account of any unlawful consideration.
(cf. 0410 - Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities)
5. Solicit funds or services for an organization, with the exception of solicitations authorized in Board policy.
(cf. 1321 - Solicitation of Funds From and By Students)
6. Promote the use or sale of materials or services that are illegal or inconsistent with school objectives, including but not limited to materials or advertisements for tobacco, intoxicants, and movies or products that are unsuitable for minors.
(cf. 6000 - Concepts and Roles)
Distribute unsolicited merchandise for which an ensuing payment is requested.
All noncommercial materials approved for distribution at district schools must meet the following criteria when submitted to the district office for review and approval:
1. All fliers and materials must bear the name and contact information of the sponsoring group.
2. A disclaimer shall be printed on the face of all fliers and materials, in font no smaller than 8 point size which states: "This material is not produced by the Aromas-San Juan Unified School District and the activity or program described is not school-related and is not sponsored or endorsed by the District."
3.Fliers and materials shall be no larger than 8¬Ω by 11 inches.
4.Fliers and materials shall be printed in English and Spanish.
Advertising and Commercial Materials
School-sponsored publications, yearbooks, announcements and other school communications may accept paid advertising to the extent permitted by law and Board policy.
Advertising copy for school-sponsored publications or yearbooks may be solicited and prepared only to the extent that this process furthers the educational well-being of the students involved. Students shall not be exploited to raise money, and time spent securing ads shall not infringe on the school program.
In addition to meeting all other requirements of Board policy and regulation, advertising or promotional materials posted on school property, displayed on campus, or published in district or school publications or yearbooks shall meet the following criteria:
1. All advertising copy or promotional materials shall bear the name and contact information of the sponsoring group.
2.A disclaimer shall be printed on the face of all advertising copy posted or displayed on campus in font no smaller than eight (8) point size which states: "The Aromas-San Juan Unified School District does not endorse any advertised products or services."
Regulation AROMAS-SAN JUAN UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: November 9, 2011 San Juan Bautista, California