Legal Resources | United States Code, Title 42 | T42 11434a, 11434a
For purposes of this subtitle:
(1) The terms 'enroll' and 'enrollment' include attending classes and participating fully in school activities.
(2) The term 'homeless children' and 'youths' -
(A) means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence (within the meaning of section 103(a)(1)); and
(B) includes -
(i) children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement;
(ii) children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings (within the meaning of section 103(a)(2)(C));
(iii) children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
(iv) migratory children (as such term is defined in section 1309 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965) who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses (i) through (iii).
(3) The terms 'local educational agency' and 'State educational agency' have the meanings given such terms in section 9101 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965.
(4) The term 'Secretary' means the Secretary of Education.
(5) The term 'State' means each of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
(6) The term 'unaccompanied youth' includes a youth not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian.
(Amended by Public Law 107-110, Sec 725.)