Aromas-San Juan USD | AR 4319.25 Personnel
Political Activities Of Employees
District employees shall not:
1. Use district funds, services, supplies or equipment to urge the passage or defeat of any ballot measure or candidate, including any candidate for election to the Board of Trustees (Education Code 7054)
(cf. 1160 - Political Processes)
2. During working hours and on district property, solicit or receive any political funds or contributions to promote the passage or defeat of a ballot measure that would affect the rate of pay, hours of work, retirement, civil service or other working conditions (Education Code 7056)
3. During working hours and on district property, solicit or receive any political funds or contributions to promote the passage or defeat of other types of ballot measures
4. Use district time to urge the passage or defeat of any ballot measure or candidate
5. Use district equipment for the preparation or reproduction of political campaign materials, even if the district is reimbursed
(cf. 3512 - Equipment)
6.Post or distribute political campaign materials on district property
7.Disseminate political campaign materials through the district's mail service, e-mail or staff mailboxes. Employee unions may distribute union-identified materials in staff mailboxes.
(cf. 4040 - Employee Use of Technology)
8.Use students to write, address or distribute political campaign materials
9. Present viewpoints on particular candidates or ballot measures in the classroom without giving equal time to the presentation of opposing views
(cf. 6144 - Controversial Issues)
10. Wear buttons or articles of clothing that express political opinions on ballot measures or candidates during instructional time
However, employees shall not be prohibited from wearing political buttons during noninstructional time, such as Back-to-School Night.
Nothing in Board policy or administrative regulation shall be construed to prevent employees from soliciting or receiving funds or contributions for political purposes during nonworking time, including before and after school, the lunch period or other scheduled work intermittency during the school day. (Education Code 7056)
Employee organizations may use district mailboxes and other means to communicate with employees, subject to reasonable regulation. Employee organizations may have access at reasonable times to areas in which employees work; may use institutional bulletin boards, mailboxes, and other means of communication and may use district facilities at reasonable times for the purpose of meetings. (Government Code 3543.1)
However, employee organizations shall not use district funds, services, supplies or equipment, such as the district mail system, to urge the passage or defeat of any ballot measure or candidate, including any candidate for election to the Board (Education Code 7054)
Access to district communication channels shall be limited in cases where such access would be disruptive to district operations.
In the event of a concerted action or work stoppage, political activities by employee organizations and individual employees shall be restricted to peaceful informational picketing and other activities allowed by law.
(cf. 4141.6/4241.6 - Concerted Action/Work Stoppage)
Regulation AROMAS-SAN JUAN UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: November 10, 2004 San Juan Bautista, California