Atascadero USD | AR 1330 Community Relations
Use Of School Facilities
Application for Use of Facilities
The Superintendent/Principal or designee shall maintain application procedures and regulations for the use of school facilities which: (Education Code 38133)
1. Encourage and assist groups desiring to use school facilities for approved activities.
2. Preserve order in school buildings and on school grounds, and protect school facilities. If necessary, a person may be designated to supervise this task.
3. Ensure that the use of facilities or grounds is not inconsistent with the use of the school facilities or grounds for school purposes and does not interfere with the regular conduct of school work.
Any persons applying for the use of school property on behalf of any society, group or organization shall present written authorization from the group to make the application.
Persons or organizations applying for the use of school facilities shall submit a statement of information indicating that the organization upholds the state and federal constitutions and does not intend to use school premises to commit unlawful acts.
Civic Center Use
Subject to district policies and regulations, school facilities and grounds shall be available to citizens and community groups as a civic center for the following purposes: (Education Code 32282, 38131)
1. Public, literary, scientific, recreational, educational or public agency meetings
2. The discussion of matters of general or public interest
3. The conduct of religious services for temporary periods, on a one-time or renewable basis, by any church or religious organization
4. Child care programs to provide supervision and activities for children of preschool and elementary school age
5. The administration of examinations for the selection of personnel or the instruction of precinct board members by public agencies
6. Supervised recreational activities including, but not limited to, sports league activities that are arranged for and supervised by entities, including religious organizations or churches, and in which youths may participate regardless of religious belief or denomination
7. A community youth center
(cf. 1020 - Youth Services)
8. Mass care and welfare shelters during disasters or other emergencies affecting the public health and welfare
(cf. 3516 - Emergencies and Disaster Preparedness Plan)
9. Other purposes deemed appropriate by the Board of Trustees
School facilities shall not be used for any of the following activities:
1. Any use by an individual or group for the commission of any crime or any act prohibited by law
2. Any use of school facilities or grounds which is inconsistent with their use for school purposes or which interferes with the regular conduct of school or school work
3. Any use which is discriminatory in the legal sense
(cf. 0410 - Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities)
4. Any use which involves the possession, consumption or sale of alcoholic beverages or any restricted substances on school property
(cf. 3513.3 - Tobacco-Free Schools)
Damage and Liability
Groups or persons using school facilities shall be liable for any property damages caused by the activity. The Board may charge the amount necessary to repair the damages and may deny the group further use of school facilities.
Any group using school facilities shall be liable for any injuries resulting from its negligence during such use. The group shall bear the cost of insuring against this risk and defending itself against claims arising from this risk.
Groups other than those that promote youth and school activities shall be required to include the District as additional insured on their liability policies.
The Superintendent/Principal or designee may require a hold harmless agreement when warranted by the type of activity or the specific facility being used.
Regulation ATASCADERO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: November 2, 1999 Atascadero, California