Atascadero USD | AR 4128 Personnel
Shared Teaching Assignments
1. Shared teaching assignments shall be available only to tenured teachers who possess a clear credential, who are already employed by the District and who have mutually agreed to work together. Teachers may submit their request for such an assignment to the Superintendent or designee by March 1 of the preceding school year.
2. Teachers requesting a shared assignment shall be informed of the status of their proposal by June 10.
3. The Superintendent or designee shall annually review the effectiveness of the shared teaching assignment and determine whether or not it may continue the following year. He/she shall notify the teachers of this decision on or before March 15 of each year.
Hours and Responsibilities
1. Both teachers will work the equivalent of half of the school days required of full-time teachers and will perform a proportionate share of adjunct duties.
2. Both teachers shall meet with the principal before school opens to establish exact working days and meeting responsibilities. Although the teacher not on duty will not normally be required to attend staff meetings, both teachers shall attend parent conferences, open house, and back-to-school nights. Both teachers also may be expected to attend specific inservice meetings and to work a full day on at least the first two days of the first week of school.
3. Both teachers shall assume full responsibility for the class instructional program. They will regularly meet to jointly develop lesson plans and ensure clear lines of communication with parents/guardians.
4. The principal shall approve the teachers' working calendar before school opens.
Salary, Leaves and Absences
1. Each teacher will receive one half of his/her annual salary according to individual placement on the salary schedule.
2. The employee and the District's contribution to the retirement system shall be one half of that normally paid. Upon completing a year's work at half time, the teacher will receive one-half year of service toward advancement on the salary schedule and one-half year's credit toward years of service in the teachers' retirement system.
3. Whenever one of the teachers sharing an assignment is absent, the other teacher sharing the assignment shall make every reasonable effort to perform substitute teaching duties. For this service, his/her pay shall correspond with District substitute pay for day-to-day substituting. If an absence extends beyond two consecutive weeks, he/she shall receive his/her regular teacher's pay beginning with the first day of substitute service.
4. Teachers sharing an assignment shall accrue sick leave and other leave benefits at one half the normal rate. Worker compensation insurance shall be paid on the employee's actual salary.
Regulation ATASCADERO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: May 2, 2000 Atascadero, California