Atascadero USD | AR 5111 Students
Age of Admittance to Grades K-1
A child shall be eligible for enrollment in kindergarten or first grade, at the beginning of the school year or at a later time in the same year, if the child has his/her fifth or sixth birthday, respectively, on or before one of the following dates: (Education Code 48000, 48010)
1. December 2 of the 2011-12 school year
2. November 1 of the 2012-13 school year
3. October 1 of the 2013-14 school year
4. September 1 of the 2014-15 school year and each school year thereafter
Any child who will have his/her fifth birthday between the date listed above for the applicable school year and December 2 shall be offered a transitional kindergarten program in accordance with law and Board policy. (Education Code 48000)
(cf. 5123 - Promotion/Acceleration/Retention)
(cf. 6170.1 - Transitional Kindergarten)
On a case-by-case basis, a child who reaches age five after the date listed above for the applicable school year may be admitted to kindergarten if the birthdate is within a 30 day window of the approved date and with the approval of the child's parent/guardian, provided that: (Education Code 48000)
1. The Superintendent or designee determines that the admittance is in the best interests of the child.
2. The parent/guardian is given information regarding the advantages and disadvantages and any other explanatory information about the effect of this early admittance.
(cf. 5145.6 - Parental Notifications)
In determining whether a child may be granted early entry to kindergarten, the Superintendent or designee may also consider the availability of classroom space and any negotiated maximum class size.
(cf. 6151 - Class Size)
(cf. 7111 - Evaluating Existing Buildings)
Documentation of Age/Grade
Prior to the admission of a child to kindergarten or first grade, the parent/guardian shall present proof of the child's age. (Education Code 48002)
Evidence of the child's age may include: (Education Code 48002)
1. A certified copy of a birth certificate or a statement by the local registrar or county recorder certifying the date of birth
2. A duly attested baptism certificate
When none of the foregoing is obtainable, the parent/guardian may provide any other appropriate means of proving the age of the child. (Education Code 48002)
A student enrolling in a district school at any other grade level shall present records from his/her previous school district documenting his/her age and current grade level.
(cf. 5125 - Student Records)
(cf. 6146.3 - Reciprocity of Academic Credit)
Regulation ATASCADERO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: October 5, 1999 Atascadero, California
revised: May 21, 2013