Atascadero USD | AR 5131.1 Students
Riding a school bus is a PRIVILEGE to qualified students of Atascadero Unified School District. Therefore, it is important that all students are aware of the bus rules so they may keep their bus riding privileges.
1. Riders shall follow the instructions and directions of the bus driver at all times.
(cf. 3542 - School Bus Drivers)
2. Riders should arrive at their designated bus stop 5 minutes before scheduled time and stand in a safe place at the stop to wait quietly for the bus.
(cf. 3541 - Transportation Routes and Services)
3. Riders shall enter the bus in an orderly manner and go directly to their seats.
4. Riders shall sit down and fasten any passenger restraint systems. Riders shall remain seated while the bus is in motion.
5. Riders shall not block the aisle or emergency exit with their body or personal belongings. Riders may bring large or bulky items, such as class projects or musical instruments, on the bus only if the item does not displace any other rider or obstruct the driver's vision and can fit under the seat.
6. Riders should be courteous to the driver and to fellow passengers. Vulgarity, rude, or abusive behavior is prohibited.
7. Any noise or behavior that could distract the driver, such as loud talking, scuffling or fighting, throwing objects, or standing or changing seats, is prohibited and may lead to suspension of riding privileges.
(cf. 5144 - Discipline)
8. Riders shall not use tobacco products, eat, or drink while riding the bus.
(cf. 5131.62 - Tobacco)
9. Riders may bring electronic devices onto the bus only if such devices are permitted at school. If the use of cellular telephones or similar devices disrupts the safe operation of the school bus, the bus driver may direct the student to no longer use the device on the bus.
(cf. 5131 - Conduct)
10. Riders shall not put any part of the body out of the window nor throw any item from the bus.
11. Riders shall help keep the bus and the area around the bus stop clean. Riders shall not damage or deface the bus or tamper with bus equipment.
(cf. 6163.2 - Animals at School)
13. Upon reaching their destination, riders shall remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop and upon the signal from the driver, unfasten any restraint system, enter the aisle, and go directly to the exit.
14. Riders should be alert for traffic when leaving the bus and shall follow the district's transportation safety plan when crossing the road and exiting the bus.
(cf. 3543 - Transportation Safety and Emergencies)
Fighting Or Provoking A Fight, Stealing, Possessing Or Using Tobacco, Alcohol Or Drugs, Destroying Or Defacing Property, Using Vulgar Language, Obscene Gesturing, Opening An Emergency Exit At An Inappropriate Time, Or Any Other Unsafe Actions That Would Jeopardize The Safety Of Anyone On The Bus Will Result In Immediate Suspension Of Bus Riding Privileges.
The driver or any passenger shall report any violation of the district's bus rules to the Assistant Director of Transportation or principal. The Assistant Director or principal shall notify the student's parent/guardian of the misbehavior, determine the severity of the misconduct, and take action accordingly. In instances of a severe violation or repeated offenses, the rider may be denied transportation for a period of time determined appropriate by the Assistant Director or principal.
Bus drivers shall not deny transportation services except as directed by the Assistant Director of Transportation.
Bus Surveillance Systems
The Superintendent or designee shall monitor the use and maintenance of the district's bus surveillance system. Students are prohibited from tampering with the bus surveillance system. Any student found tampering with the system shall be subject to discipline and shall be responsible for the costs of any necessary repairs or replacement.
(cf. 3515.4 - Recovery for Property Loss or Damage)
(cf. 5131.5 - Vandalism and Graffiti)
Camera supports may be installed in all buses. Cameras may be rotated among the buses and activated at the discretion of the Superintendent or designee.
The content of any recording is a student record and may only be accessed in accordance with the district's policy and administrative regulation concerning student records.
(cf. 5125 - Student Records)
(cf. 5125.1 - Release of Directory Information)
Regulation ATASCADERO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: May 2, 2002 Atascadero, California
revised: March 4, 2014