Atascadero USD | AR 6146.2 Instruction
Certificate Of Proficiency/High School Equivalency
The principal of each school maintaining 11th and/or 12th grades shall distribute to each student in those grades an announcement explaining the California High School Proficiency Examination as provided under Education Code 48412. When announcements from the California Department of Education or its contractor are received, this information shall be distributed early enough to enable interested students to register for the test to be given in the fall of that year. (5 CCR 11523)
Any person 16 or older or who has been in the 10th grade for a year or who is currently enrolled in the final semester of 10th grade may apply to have his/her proficiency in basic skills verified by examination according to criteria established by the California Department of Education. (Education Code 48412)
If a student receives the California Department of Education certificate:
1. The district shall indicate the student's accomplishment and the date of the proficiency certificate award on the student's official transcript. (5 CCR 11521)
2. The district shall, on a suitable form, obtain parental consent for exemption from further schooling as required under Education Code 48410. The form must contain at least the following information: (5 CCR 11522)
a. A general explanation of the student's rights of exemption from compulsory attendance and of reenrollment in the public schools
b. The date of issuance of the certificate of proficiency
c. The signature of the parent/guardian and the date
d. The signature of the school administrator who has personally confirmed the authenticity of the parent/guardian's signature and the date
Any person 18 or older may take the General Educational Development Test (G.E.D.) given by the California Department of Education in order to receive the High School Equivalency Certificate. (5 CCR 11530 et seq.)
Certificate of Completion/Achievement
Starting with the Class of 2006 and thereafter, in the event a student has failed to pass one or both of the California State High School Exit Exam and is not considered an individual with exceptional needs as described by BP 6162.52, the student may, on a case-by-case basis, be awarded a Certificate of Completion/Achievement - if the following conditions have been met:
1. The student has successfully completed all prescribed course-work necessary to receive a high school diploma.
2. The principal or designee certifies, citing specific intervention, that both the students and the high school have made every effort to pass the exam.
3. The Assistant Superintendent of Educational Services concurs, by letter, that the cited interventions and student effort show concerted attempts to achieve a passing score.
4. The student has maintained a cumulative four-year GPA of 1.87.
The Certificate of Completion/Achievement shall also list specific information as t skills or competencies such as ROP certificates that the student may have obtained. It shall also list any section of the Exit Exam that the student did pass.
Accordingly, students meeting the criteria described above shall be eligible to participate in any graduation ceremony and any school activity related to graduation in which students passing the Exit Exam are eligible to participate.
Regulation ATASCADERO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Approved: March 7, 2000 Atascadero, California
Revised: August 12, 2004