Atascadero USD | AR 6151 Instruction
Cautionary Notice: As added and amended by SBX3 4 (Ch. 12, Third Extraordinary Session, Statutes of 2009), ABX4 2 (Ch. 2, Fourth Extraordinary Session, Statutes of 2009), and SB 70 (Ch. 7, Statutes of 2011), Education Code 42605 grants districts flexibility in "Tier 3" categorical programs. The Atascadero USD has accepted this flexibility and thus is deemed in compliance with the statutory or regulatory program and funding requirements for these programs for the 2008-09 through 2014-15 fiscal years. As a result, the district may temporarily suspend certain provisions of the following policy or regulation that reflect these requirements. For further information, please contact the Superintendent or designee.
Class Size Reduction in Grades K-3
When establishing a program to reduce class size in the primary grades, the program shall be implemented at each school according to the following priorities: (Education Code 52124)
1. If only one grade level is reduced at a school, the grade level shall be grade 1.
2. If only two grade levels are reduced at a school, the grade levels shall be grades 1 and 2.
3. If three grade levels are reduced at a school, then those grade levels shall be kindergarten and grades 1 and 2 or grades 1 through 3. Priority shall be given to the reduction of class sizes in grades 1 and 2 before class sizes of kindergarten or grade 3 are reduced.
4. If four grade levels are reduced at a school, then those grade levels shall be kindergarten through grade 3. First priority shall be given to the reduction of class sizes in grade 1 and 2; second priority shall be given to the reduction of class size in kindergarten and grade 3.
In all classes that receive funding through the state's class size reduction program for half-day programs, instruction during the reduced class size portion of the school day shall be primarily devoted to reading and mathematics. (Education Code 52122)
Training shall be provided to teachers participating in the class size reduction program which shall include, but not be limited to, methods for providing each of the following: (Education Code 52127)
1. Individualized instruction
2. Effective teaching, including classroom management, in smaller classes
3. Identifying and responding to student needs
4. Opportunities to build on the individual strengths of students
(cf. 4131 - Staff Development)
Class Size Reduction in Grades 9-12
When establishing a program to reduce class size in one or two courses in grade 9, the Superintendent or designee shall certify that, at each participating school: (Education Code 52084)
1. English courses are included in the program.
2. The second course, if any, is a course in mathematics, science or social studies which counts towards graduation requirements pursuant to Education Code 51225.3.
3. The average class size in the school for these designated courses shall be no more than 20 students per certificated teacher, and there shall be no more than 22 students in any participating class.
Special education students enrolled in special day classes on a full-time basis and students enrolled in necessary small schools that receive funding pursuant to Education Code 42280 shall not be counted in calculating class sizes for purposes of this program.
4. The implementation of class size reduction has not adversely affected existing class size in other courses.
Regulation ATASCADERO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: March 7, 2000 Atascadero, California