Atascadero USD | AR 6154 Instruction
School-Site Homework Plan
The principal and staff at each school shall develop and regularly review a school-site homework plan which includes guidelines for the assignment of homework and describes the responsibilities of students, staff and parents/guardians. The plan shall identify all of the following:
1. For each grade level, the amount of time that students shall be expected to spend on homework
2. For each grade level, the extent to which homework assignments shall systematically involve participation by parents/guardians
3. For each grade level, maximum percent to which homework assignments shall be applied to the student's overall grade
4. The means by which parents/guardians shall be informed about:
a. Homework expectations
b. How homework relates to the student's grades
c. How best to help their children
4. Techniques that will be taught to help students allocate their time wisely, meet their deadlines and develop good personal study habits
5. The access that students shall have to obtain:
a. Resource materials from the library media center
b. Assistance and/or tutoring through telephone help lines and/or after-school centers
6. The means by which teachers shall coordinate assignments so that students do not receive an overload of homework one day and very little the next
7. For each grade level, the extent to which homework assignments shall emphasize independent research, reports, special reading and problem-solving activities
8. A homework assignment will be of reasonable length so that it can be easily checked. To be effective as a learning aid, homework shall be evaluated by the teacher and due credit given.
a. At the elementary level, homework may be assigned not to exceed three hours per week.
b. At the junior high level, homework may be assigned on a general basis of 20 minutes per day (Friday's and days proceeding holidays excepted) per academic subject and in general may not exceed five and one half hours per week.
c. At the senior high level, homework may be assigned on a general basis of 30 minutes per day per subject requiring homework and in general should not exceed eight hours per week.
d. Administrators shall supervise homework assignments to regulate the number given for any one day, It is recommended that some subject areas have alternating days for assignments.
The Superintendent or designee shall notify parents/guardians that no student may have his/her grade reduced or lose academic credit for any absence, other than truancy or suspension, when missed assignments and tests are satisfactorily completed within a reasonable period of time. Such notification shall include the full text of Education Code 48205. (Education Code 48980)
(cf. 5121 - Grades/Evaluation of Student Achievement)
(cf. 5145.6 - Parental Notifications)
The teacher of any class from which a student is suspended may require the student to complete any assignments and tests missed during the suspension. (Education Code 48913)
(cf. 5144.1 - Suspension and Expulsion/Due Process)
Regulation ATASCADERO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: March 7, 2000 Atascadero, California
revised: September 5, 2006