Atascadero USD | AR 6181 Instruction
The District shall maintain and fund alternative schools at the same level of support as other District educational programs for students of the same age level. (Education Code 58507)
Teachers employed and students enrolled in alternative schools shall be selected entirely from volunteers. (Education Code 58503)
Students enrolled in alternative schools shall be eligible for District transportation in the same manner as students attending regular schools.
(cf. 3250 - Transportation Fees)
(cf. 3540 - Transportation)
At the beginning of each school year, the "Notice of Alternative Schools" shall be sent to all parents/guardians as set forth in Education Code 58501. During March of each year, a copy of this notice shall be posted at each school in at least two places normally visible to students, teachers and visiting parents. (Education Code 58501)
Copies of Education Code 58500-58512, providing for alternative schools, shall be placed in the District office and in the principal's office at each school and shall be made available to any interested parent/guardian, teacher or student. (Education Code 58501)
All proposals for the establishment of an alternative school shall:
1. Meet District program goals and student outcomes contained in the state curriculum frameworks.
2. Demonstrate that the number of students interested in enrolling in the alternative school is sufficient to meet normal student/teacher staffing ratios.
3. Demonstrate that teachers are willing to work within the program.
4. Include a comprehensive plan for a yearly evaluation of the program to be carried out by the District.
5. Demonstrate that the proposed operational plan conforms with District timelines and makes equitable use of District staff, facilities and resources.
6. Provide a statement of the specific anticipated costs of launching the proposal. The proposal may draw upon outside funding sources as well as requesting District support for start-up costs which will not continue after the first year. As long as individual school allocations are not affected, start-up costs may include such items as staff development, purchase and/or renovation of facilities, purchase of an initial inventory of equipment and supplies, and staff and travel expenses for program planning.
7. Provide assurance that there will be no racial, sex or ethnic discrimination in any aspect of the operation of the alternative school. (Education Code 58508)
8. Provide assurance that previous classroom performance will not limit any student from the opportunity of attending the alternative school. (Education Code 58504)
Policy ATASCADERO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: March 7, 2000 Atascadero, California