Atascadero USD | AR 6179 Instruction
Cautionary Notice: As added and amended by SBX3 4 (Ch. 12, Third Extraordinary Session, Statutes of 2009), ABX4 2 (Ch. 2, Fourth Extraordinary Session, Statutes of 2009), and SB 70 (Ch. 7, Statutes of 2011), Education Code 42605 grants districts flexibility in "Tier 3" categorical programs. The Atascadero USD has accepted this flexibility and thus is deemed in compliance with the statutory or regulatory program and funding requirements for these programs for the 2008-09 through 2014-15 fiscal years. As a result, the district may temporarily suspend certain provisions of the following policy or regulation that reflect these requirements. For further information, please contact the Superintendent or designee.
Cautionary Notice 2010-13: AB 1610 (Ch. 724, Statutes of 2010) amended Education Code 37252.2 to relieve districts from the obligation, until July 1, 2013, to perform any activities that are deemed to be reimbursable state mandates under that section. As a result, certain provisions of the following policy or administrative regulation that reflect those requirements may be suspended.
If a minor student's parent/guardian or a student age 18 or older informs the Superintendent or designee that the student is unable to attend a Saturday school program for religious reasons, that student shall be given priority for enrollment in supplemental instruction offered at a time other than Saturday before a student who does not have a religious reason to attend a Saturday school program. (Education Code 37252, 37252.2, 37252.8, 37253)
(cf. 6141.2 - Recognition of Religious Beliefs and Customs)
(cf. 6176 - Weekend/Saturday Classes)
(cf. 6177 - Summer School)
Eligibility Based on Retention or Academic Deficiencies
Students in grades 2-9 who have been retained or recommended for retention shall be eligible for supplemental instruction under the following circumstances: (Education Code 37252.2)
1. With parental consent, the Superintendent or designee may require a student who has been retained to participate in the supplemental instructional program.
2. For the purposes of identifying students as eligible for supplemental instruction, a student shall be considered to be enrolled in a grade immediately upon completion of the preceding grade.
3. Students who were enrolled in grade 6 or 9 during the prior school year who have been retained or recommended for retention shall be eligible for summer school instruction.
(cf. 5123 - Promotion/Acceleration/Retention)
Eligibility Based on Progress Toward Passing Exit Examination
Students in grades 7-12 who do not demonstrate sufficient progress, as defined in Board policy, toward the state exit examination required for high school graduation shall be eligible for supplemental instruction under the following circumstances: (Education Code 37252)
1. For the purposes of this program a student shall be considered to be enrolled in a grade immediately upon completion of the preceding grade.
2. Students who were enrolled in grade 12 during the prior school year shall be eligible for supplemental instructional programs.
3. Students who do not possess sufficient English language skills to be assessed shall be considered students who do not demonstrate sufficient progress towards passing the exit examination and shall receive supplemental instruction designed to help them succeed on the exit examination.
(cf. 6146.1- High School Graduation Requirements)
(cf. 6162.52 - High School Exit Examination)
The curriculum of the supplemental instruction program shall reflect state academic content standards to the extent that the district curriculum is aligned with those state standards, and shall be designed to assist students to succeed on the exit examination. (Education Code 60851)
(cf. 6011 - Academic Standards)
Regulation ATASCADERO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Approved: June 29, 2004 Atascadero, California