Atascadero USD | E 5144.2 Students
Suspension And Expulsion/Due Process (Students With Disabilities)
ADDENDUM TO SELPA NOTICE OF IEP MEETING
Individuals with Exceptional Needs/Expulsion Recommended
You are hereby notified that your son/daughter, ____________________,
has been recommended for expulsion. ___________________________
has previously been identified as a student with exceptional needs.
_____________________________ was suspended by the principal for
_______________________ days, until _______________________.
The reasons for the proposed expulsion are
(Use attachments if needed.)
The principal considered other options as described below but has rejected those options. (Description of other options considered, if any, and reasons why they were rejected.)
The principal used the following evaluations, assessments, tests and/or records in reaching his/her decision to propose expulsion:
Other factors relevant to the principal's recommendation are:
Please be aware that:
1. A preexpulsion assessment of ___________________________________
will be conducted. ______________________________ should report to
_____________________ at _______________________ (time) ____________ for this assessment. You are required by law to make ___________________ available for this assessment. You may obtain an independent pre-expulsion assessment if you disagree with the District's pre-expulsion assessment.
2. An IEP meeting will be held on ____________________, at _____________________.
If the time and place of the IEP meeting are not convenient, please advise immediately by calling the undersigned at (phone number) within 24 hours of receiving this letter.
3. You may request that the meeting be postponed for up to three additional school days. If you make such a request, your child's suspension will be continued during the three-day postponement.
4. You may ask a representative to appear at the hearing on your behalf.
5. If you do not request a continuance immediately or appear at the IEP meeting in person or through a representative, the meeting will be held without you.
6. You have the right to participate in the IEP team meeting concerning this proposal and to appeal any IEP team decisions or recommendations with which you disagree to the California Department of Education, which will schedule a due process hearing to resolve the issues.
Such an appeal must be made in writing addressed to:
Superintendent of Public Instruction
California Department of Education
721 Capitol Mall
P.O. Box 944272
Sacramento, California 94244-2720
with a copy to the local school District Superintendent and the SELPA Director of _________________________ County.
THE WRITTEN APPEAL MUST BE DELIVERED OR POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN 15 DAYS FOLLOWING THE DATE OF THE IEP MEETING.
7. You also have the right to appeal any decision from the California Department of Education resulting from a fair hearing on the issues with which you disagree to state or federal court. If you are represented by counsel in these proceedings and prevail, you are entitled to be reimbursed for attorney's fees.
District Administrator in Charge
of Special Education or Principal
Exhibit ATASCADERO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
version: October 5, 1999 Atascadero, California