(a) Criteria and priorities
(1) In general
The Secretary shall establish separate criteria and priorities for awards under paragraphs (1) and (2) of section 7233(b) of this title to ensure that funds under this part are used for programs that most effectively will achieve the purposes of this part.
The criteria described in subsection (a) of this section may include the extent to which the activities assisted under this part--
(A) address the needs of women and girls of color and women and girls with disabilities;
(B) meet locally defined and documented educational equity needs and priorities, including compliance with title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972;
(C) are a significant component of a comprehensive plan for educational equity and compliance with title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 in the particular school district, institution of higher education, vocational-technical institution, or other educational agency or institution; and
(D) implement an institutional change strategy with long-term impact that will continue as a central activity of the applicant after the grant under this part has terminated.
In approving applications under this part, the Secretary may give special consideration to applications--
(1) submitted by applicants that have not received assistance under this part or under part C of subchapter IX of this chapter (as such part was in effect on October 1, 1988);
(2) for projects that will contribute significantly to directly improving teaching and learning practices in the local community; and
(3) for projects that will--
(A) provide for a comprehensive approach to enhancing gender equity in educational institutions and agencies;
(B) draw on a variety of resources, including the resources of local educational agencies, community-based organizations, institutions of higher education, and private organizations;
(C) implement a strategy with long-term impact that will continue as a central activity of the applicant after the grant under this part has terminated;
(D) address issues of national significance that can be duplicated; and
(E) address the educational needs of women and girls who suffer multiple or compound discrimination based on sex and on race, ethnic origin, disability, or age.
(c) Special rule
To the extent feasible, the Secretary shall ensure that grants awarded under this part for each fiscal year address--
(1) all levels of education, including preschool, elementary and secondary education, higher education, vocational education, and adult education;
(2) all regions of the United States; and
(3) urban, rural, and suburban educational institutions.
Research activities supported under this part--
(1) shall be carried out in consultation with the Office of Educational Research and Improvement to ensure that such activities are coordinated with and enhance the research and development activities supported by the Office; and
(2) may include collaborative research activities which are jointly funded and carried out with the Office of Educational Research and Improvement.
Nothing in this part shall be construed as prohibiting men and boys from participating in any programs or activities assisted with funds under this part.
(Pub. L. 89-10, title V, Sec. 5205 as added Pub. L. 103-382, title I, Sec. 101, Oct. 20, 1994, 108 Stat. 3699.)