Subchapter V - Promoting Informed Parental Choice And Innovative Programs. Part D - Fund For The Improvement Of Education. Subpart 11 - Community Technology Centers. Purpose and program authorization.
It is the purpose of this subpart to assist eligible applicants -
(1) to create or expand community technology centers that will provide disadvantaged residents of economically distressed urban and rural communities with access to information technology and related training; and
(2) to provide technical assistance and support to community technology centers.
(b) Program authorization
The Secretary is authorized, in conjunction with the Office of Educational Technology, to award grants, contracts, or cooperative agreements, on a competitive basis, for a period of not more than 3 years, to eligible applicants in order to assist such applicants in -
(1) creating or expanding community technology centers; or
(2) providing technical assistance and support to community technology centers.
(3) Service of Americorps participants. - The Secretary may collaborate with the Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation for National and Community Service on the use in community technology centers of participants in National Service programs carried out under subtitle C of title I of the National and Community Service Act of 1990 (42 USC 12571 et seq.).
(Pub. L. 89-10, title V, Sec. 5511, as added Pub. L. 107-110, title V, Sec. 501, Jan. 8, 2002, 115 Stat. 1843.)