(a) The Department of Justice may, upon a finding of good cause, issue permits for the manufacture or sale of assault weapons or .50 BMG rifles for the sale to, purchase by, or possession of assault weapons or .50 BMG rifles by, any of the following:
(1) The agencies listed in subdivision (e), and the officers described in subdivision (f) of Section 12280.
(2) Entities and persons who have been issued permits pursuant to this section or Section 12286.
(3) Entities outside the state who have, in effect, a federal firearms dealer's license solely for the purpose of distribution to an entity listed in paragraphs (4) to (6), inclusive.
(4) Federal law enforcement and military agencies.
(5) Law enforcement and military agencies of other states.
(6) Foreign governments and agencies approved by the United States State Department.
(b) Application for the permits, the keeping and inspection thereof, and the revocation of permits shall be undertaken in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2.
(Amended by Stats. 2004, Ch. 494, Sec. 11.)