Foreign Language Assistance Act of 2001. Applications.
(a) In general
Any State educational agency or local educational agency desiring a grant under this subpart shall submit an application to the Secretary at such time, in such manner, and containing such information and assurances as the Secretary may require.
(b) Special consideration
The Secretary shall give special consideration to applications describing programs that -
(1) include intensive summer foreign language programs for professional development;
(2) link nonnative English speakers in the community with the schools in order to promote two-way language learning;
(3) promote the sequential study of a foreign language for students, beginning in elementary schools;
(4) make effective use of technology, such as computer-assisted instruction, language laboratories, or distance learning, to promote foreign language study;
(5) promote innovative activities, such as foreign language immersion, partial foreign language immersion, or content-based instruction; and
(6) are carried out through a consortium comprised of the agency receiving the grant and an elementary school or secondary school.
(Pub. L. 89-10, title V, Sec. 5493, as added Pub. L. 107-110, title V, Sec. 501, Jan. 8, 2002, 115 Stat. 1840.)