Legal Resources | | HS 104365
Risk Reduction; Tobacco Control; Tobacco Use Prevention
(a) There is hereby created the Tobacco Education and Research Oversight Committee in state government that shall advise the department and the State Department of Education with respect to policy development, integration, and evaluation of tobacco education programs funded under this article, and for development of a master plan for the future implementation of tobacco education programs.
(b) The Tobacco Education Oversight Committee shall be composed of 13 members to be appointed as follows:
(1) Two members representing volunteer health organizations dedicated to the reduction of tobacco use appointed by the Speaker of the Assembly.
(2) One member representing an organization that represents health care employees appointed by the Senate Rules Committee.
(3) One member of a professional education association, such as an association of teachers, appointed by the Senate Rules Committee.
(4) One member of a university facility with expertise in programs intended to reduce tobacco use appointed by the Governor.
(5) Two representatives of a target population group appointed by the Governor.
(6) One representative of the department appointed by the Governor.
(7) One representative of the State Department of Education appointed by the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
(8) One member representing the interests of the general public appointed by the Governor.
(9) One representative of local health departments appointed by the Governor.
(10) One member representing a volunteer health organization dedicated to the reduction of tobacco associated injury appointed by the Governor.
(11) One member from the Tobacco Related Disease Research Program appointed by the Governor.
(c) Members shall serve for a term of two years, renewable at the option of the appointing authority. The initial appointments of members shall be for two or three years, to be drawn by random lot at the first meeting. The committee shall be staffed by the department' s coordinator of the program created pursuant to Section 104375.
(d) The committee shall meet as often as it deems necessary, but shall meet not less than four times per year.
(e) The members of the committee shall serve without compensation, but shall be reimbursed for necessary travel expenses incurred in the performance of the duties of the committee.
(Added by Stats. 1995, Ch. 415, Sec. 5.)