Cucamonga SD | AR 4161.9 Personnel
Catastrophic Leave Program
1.An employee or family member (hereinafter "requestor employee") who is suffering from a catastrophic illness or injury may request donations of accrued vacation or sick leave credits under the catastrophic leave program.
2. "Catastrophic illness" or "injury" means a physical illness or injury that is expected to incapacitate the requestor employee or family member for an extended period of time and taking extended time off work creates a financial hardship for the requestor employee because he/she has exhausted all of his/her sick leave and other paid time off.
3. Requestor employees and donor employees must indemnify and hold harmless the district, its employees, its agents, and the Governing Board with respect to the catastrophic leave program.
4. A requestor employee who is suffering from a catastrophic illness or injury must request in writing the donation of eligible leave credits to the Superintendent or designee.
5. Upon requesting donations under this program the requestor employee shall provide verifications of catastrophic illness or injury by means of a letter, dated and signed by the attending physician, indicating the incapacitating nature and probable duration of the illness or injury.
6. The Superintendent or designee shall determine that the requestor employee is unable to work due to a catastrophic illness or injury and has exhausted all accrued paid leave credits. This determination is not subject to appeal.
7. When the above verification and determinations are made, the Superintendent or designee may approve the transfer of accrued vacation and/or sick leave credits. This determination is not subject to appeal.
8. Benefits shall be received in increments up to 90 days based on requestor employee's physician recommendation. The requestor employee may request additional benefits up to a maximum of 12 consecutive months for any single catastrophic illness or injury with proper verification by the physician. The allocated time shall be taken in a lump sum pursuant to the physician's orders or in certain circumstances; the allocated time may be taken intermittently pursuant to the physician's orders.
9. Any requestor employee who receives paid leave pursuant to this program shall use any leave credits that he/she continues to accrue on a monthly basis before receiving paid leave pursuant to the catastrophic leave program.
10. All requests and donations will remain strictly confidential.
11. Donor employees may donate leave credits to a specific requestor employee when the requestor employee suffers from a catastrophic illness or injury, is unable to work, and has exhausted all accrued paid sick leave credits.
a. Certificated employees may donate eligible leave credits to certificated employees. Classified employees may donate eligible leave credits to classified employees. Management and confidential employees may donate eligible leave credits to management and confidential employees.
b. Eligible leave credits are defined as accrued vacation and sick leave.
c. Eligible leave credits must be donated at a minimum of one full day equivalent and in full day equivalents thereafter.
d. Any donor employee wishing to donate accrued leave credits to a specific requestor employee under these regulations shall complete, sign and deliver the proper notice designating the number of leave credits to be donated, and acknowledging that his/her transfer of leave credits are irrevocable.
e. The Superintendent or designee shall inform donor employees of the means by which donations may be made in response to the requestor employee's requests.
f. To ensure that donor employees retain sufficient accrued sick leave to meet the needs that normally arise, donor employees shall preserve their accumulated sick leave. Employees with a combination of 16-19 days of accumulated sick leave and/or 7-10 accumulated vacation days may contribute one day of leave per school year. Employees who maintain a minimum of 20 days and/or a minimum of 10 accumulated vacation days after the donation of days may donate a combination of 10) vacation and/or sick days per school year.
g. Donation of sick days will not affect the perfect attendance bonus of donor employees.
Regulation CUCAMONGA SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: January 24, 2002 Rancho Cucamonga, California
revised: April 14, 2011