topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

Davis Joint USD |  AR  6146.11  Instruction

Alternative Credits Toward Graduation   

arrow Previous bar Next arrow

Alternative means specified by the district for completing the prescribed course of study shall be made available to students, parents/guardians, and the public. (Education Code 51225.3)


A semester period is one period of 40 to 60 minutes of instructional time per week throughout one semester of at least 17 weeks, or a minimum of 12 clock hours of instructional time provided during the academic year or in summer school. While the content to be covered is planned within these time frames, a student may be granted one semester period of credit even though the student spends less than the aforementioned amount of time in completing the necessary work. (5 CCR 1600)

Supervised Work Experience Education (if offered in the high school program)

A student shall be granted up to 40 semester periods of credit for work experience education of one or more of the following types: (Education Code 51760.3; 5 CCR 1635)

1. For exploratory work experience education, the student may earn 10 semester periods for each semester, with a maximum of 20 semester periods earned in two semesters.

2. For general work experience education, the student may earn 10 semester periods for each semester, with a maximum of 40 semester periods.

3. For vocational work experience education, the student may earn 10 semester periods for each semester, with a maximum of 40 semester periods.

To receive credit, the student must satisfy eligibility requirements and receive at least the minimum period of instruction or counseling pursuant to Education Code 51760.3.

(cf. 6178.1 - Work Experience Education)

College and/or Correspondence Courses

To receive high school credit for coursework completed at a community college or four-year college, the student or parent/guardian shall submit a written request and a transcript showing successful completion of the course. The course shall be one that satisfies college entrance requirements, applies toward college-level general education requirements, or is part of a vocational or career technical education course leading to a degree or certificate. In the course of a student's four years of high school, s/he may request up to 10 credits from other education institutions be posted on their DJUSD transcript in order to meet high school graduation requirements and/or the minimum a-g college entrance requirements.

For students attending community college as special part-time students, credit shall be at a level jointly determined by the Board of Education and the community college Board of Education. (Education Code 48800)

(cf. 6172 - Gifted and Talented Student Program)

(cf. 6146.12 - Transcript Notation for Non-DJUSD Courses)

Foreign Language Instruction

The district shall grant credit for foreign language studies successfully completed in a private school and shall apply the credit toward meeting any foreign language requirement prescribed for grades 9-12, provided that all of the following conditions are met: (Education Code 51243-51245; 5 CCR 1632)

1. The courses are in languages designated in Education Code 51244.

2. The student is regularly enrolled or applying to the district in grades 9-12.

3. The student or his/her parent/guardian applies in writing for the credit, specifies the private school attended and the amount and level of credit requested, and submits a transcript or other documents from the private school showing that the student successfully completed the course.

4. The amount of credit sought equals at least one semester's work.

5. The principal or designee determines that the student's achievement is equivalent to that expected of a student of comparable ability taking the same or similar instruction in district schools. This determination shall be based upon the private school's report of a test developed by the private school in cooperation with the district or, if the private school is located outside the district, the principal or designee may use a test given by a public school or other evidence which he/she deems appropriate.


approved: January 6, 2011 Davis, California

revised: February 7, 2013

revised: March 7, 2013