Davis Joint USD | BB 9150 Board Bylaws
Student Board Members
The Board of Education believes that engaging the student body and seeking its input and feedback regarding the district's educational programs and activities are vital to achieving the district's mission of educating district students. To enhance communication between the Board and the student body and to encourage student involvement in district affairs, the Board shall include at least one student Board member selected by the district's high school students in accordance with procedures approved by the Board. These are:
The student Board member will be a member of the Davis Joint Unified School District Student Council and shall be elected as follows:
1. The DJUSD Student Council will be comprised of one student representative from each of the district's high schools. The student body of each school may determine its own procedures for electing/appointing the student representative.
2. In June of each year, the Council will elect one of their members to serve as the Student Representative to the Board. This representative must be in the 10th or 11th grade at the time of election and attend one of the district's high schools or the Davis School for Independent Study and in good academic standing. Election will be by majority vote.
3. In the event of a tie vote, the Superintendent or designee will determine which candidate shall serve the term.
4. The candidate receiving the second greatest number of votes will serve as alternate student Board representative. In the event that the Student Board member cannot attend a Board meeting, the alternate may attend that meeting with the same rights and responsibilities of the regular student Board representative. If only one candidate stands for election, the Superintendent or designee will appoint an alternate.
5. If the position of student Board member becomes vacant, the alternate will fill the position.
The term of student Board members shall be one calendar year, commencing on July 1 of each year. A student Board member shall have the right to attend all Board meetings except closed sessions. (Education Code 35012)
(cf. 9322 - Closed Session Purposes and Agendas)
A student Board member shall be seated with other members of the Board. In addition, a student Board member shall be recognized at meetings as a full member, shall receive all materials presented to other Board members except those related to closed sessions, and may participate in questioning witnesses and discussing issues. (Education Code 35012)
(cf. 9322 - Agenda/Meeting Materials)
A student Board member may cast preferential votes on all matters except those subject to closed session discussion. Preferential votes shall be cast prior to the official Board vote and shall not affect the final numerical outcome of a vote. Preferential votes shall be recorded in the Board meeting minutes. (Education Code 35012)
(cf. 9324 - Minutes and Recordings)
A student Board member shall be entitled to be reimbursed for mileage to the same extent as others members of the Board but shall not receive compensation for attendance at Board meetings. (Education Code 35012)
(cf. 3350 - Travel Expenses)
(cf. 9250 - Remuneration, Reimbursement and Other Benefits)
Student Board Member Development
As necessary, the Superintendent or designee shall, at district expense, provide learning opportunities to student Board members, through trainings, workshops, and conferences, to enhance their knowledge, understanding, and performance of their Board responsibilities.
The Superintendent or designee may periodically provide an orientation for student Board member candidates to give them an understanding of the responsibilities and expectations of Board service.
The duties of the student Board member include the following:
1. To provide continuing input for Board deliberations
2. To strengthen communications between the Board and district students
3. To represent all students and facilitate the discussion of all sides of issues. This duty does not preclude the student Board member from stating his/her individual opinion
4. To bring issues to the district Student Council for input and discussion
33000.5 Appointment of student members to State Board of Education
35012 Board members; number, election and terms; pupil members
California Association of Student Councils: http://www.casc.net
National School Boards Association: http://www.nsba.org
Bylaw DAVIS JOINT UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: March 18, 2010 Davis, California
revised: September 4, 2014