Davis Joint USD | BB 9100 Board Bylaws
Each year, the Governing Board shall hold an annual organizational meeting. In any year in which a regular election of district Board members is conducted, the organizational meeting shall be held within a 15-day period beginning from the date upon which a Board member elected at that election takes office. During non-election years, the meeting shall be held within the same 15-day period on the calendar. (Education Code 35143)
The day and time of the annual meeting shall be selected by the Board at its regular meeting held immediately prior to the first day of the 15-day period. On behalf of the Board, the Superintendent shall notify the County Superintendent of Schools of the day and time selected. Within 15 days prior to the date of the annual meeting, the clerk of the Board, with the assistance of the Superintendent, shall notify in writing all Board members and members-elect of the date and time selected for the meeting. (Education Code 35143)
At this meeting the Board shall:
1. Confirm the appointment of president.
2. Elect a vice president/clerk from its members.
3. Elect a Legislative Liaison and Yolo County School Boards Association Representative.
4. Appoint the Superintendent as secretary to the Board.
5. Authorize signatures.
6. Approve a schedule of regular meetings for the year and a Board governance calendar stating time when the Board will address important governance matters.
7. The Board president shall designate committee assignments and Board liaisons as established in BB 9130.
(cf. 9140 - Board Representatives)
8. Review and/or consider resources that define and clarify the Board's governance and leadership roles and responsibilities including, but not limited to, governance standards, meeting protocols, Board rules and bylaws, and other Board development materials
(cf. 9000 - Role of the Board)
(cf. 9005 - Governance Standards)
(cf. 9230 - Orientation)
(cf. 9240 - Board Training)
(cf. 9320 - Meetings and Notices)
(cf. 9323 - Meeting Conduct)
Election of Officers
The Board shall each year elect one of its members to be vice president/clerk. This member shall be one who previously has not served in office, unless all the Board's members have previously served in office. After serving one year as vice president/clerk, the elected member shall serve one year as president of the Board.
When the only members who have not served as officers are new to the Board, the Board may elect as vice president/clerk a Board member who has served in office.
(cf. 9224 - Oath or Affirmation)
The election of Board officers shall be conducted during an open session of the annual organizational meeting.
5017 Term of office
35143 Annual organizational meeting date, and notice
35145 Public meetings
54953 Meetings to be open and public; attendance
ATTORNEY GENERAL OPINIONS
68 Ops.Cal.Atty.Gen. 65 (1985)
59 Ops.Cal.Atty.Gen. 619, 621-622 (1976)
Bylaw DAVIS JOINT UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: May 7, 2015 Davis, California
revised: September 7, 2017