Delano Joint HSD | AR 6161.11 Instruction
Supplementary Instructional Materials
1. "Instructional materials" means all materials that are designed for use by pupils and their teachers as a learning resource and help pupils to acquire facts, skills, or opinion or to develop cognitive processes. Instructional materials may be printed or non-printed, and may include textbooks, technology-based materials, other educational materials, and tests. EC Section 60010(h)
2. In selecting supplementary materials, the district may choose from programs on the current SBE-adopted list of recommended materials, or the district may conduct its own independent review.
3. If the district chooses to use instructional materials that have not been adopted by the state board, the district shall ensure that a majority of the participants of the review process conducted by the district are classroom teachers who are assigned to the subject area or grade level of the materials. EC Section 60210(c)
4. All new supplementary textbooks and other instructional materials including videos, shall be carefully examined and evaluated by a committee that involves parents, the instructors, Department Chair, and the Principal or Learning Director to ensure they meet the same criteria as those used for the evaluation of new basic textbooks. The district shall promote the involvement of parents and other members of the community in the selection of instructional materials. EC Section 60002
5. The committee should review criteria for evaluation of instructional resources as outlined in the most recent SBE-approved curriculum framework for the subject under consideration and ensure the instructional materials comply with the following state criteria:
a. Alignment with the SBE-adopted content standards
b. Compliance with the state laws and regulations for social content. EC Sections 60040-45
c. All instructional materials shall use proper grammar and spelling. EC section 60045
6. The Principal or Learning Directors shall carefully examine and evaluate the requested instructional materials selection to meet state criteria. He/She may approve or deny the selection or determine that further review is needed.
7. If the site administrator approves the selection, the request proceeds to the Superintendent or designee who may approve or deny the selection, or determine that further review is needed.
8. If the Superintendent or designee approves the selection, the request proceeds to the administrator for instructional materials for purchase.
9. If the site administrator and/or Superintendent or designee determines that further review is needed, the request is forwarded to a review committee to make a recommendation to the Superintendent or designee.
10. The committee's recommendation is forwarded to the Superintendent or designee for final disposition.
Regulation DELANO JOINT UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: March 12, 2019 Delano, California