Delano Joint HSD | AR 4138 Personnel
Cautionary Notice: As added and amended by SBX3 4 (Ch. 12, Third Extraordinary Session, Statutes of 2009) and ABX4 2 (Ch. 2, Fourth Extraordinary Session, Statutes of 2009), Education Code 42605 grants districts flexibility in "Tier 3" categorical programs. The Delano Joint Union High School District has accepted this flexibility and thus is deemed in compliance with the statutory or regulatory program and funding requirements for these programs for the 2008-09 through 2012-13 fiscal years. As a result, the district may temporarily suspend certain provisions of the following policy or regulation that reflect these requirements. For further information, please contact the Superintendent or designee.
Selection of Mentor Teachers
Consistent with the terms of the Certificated Collective Bargaining Agreement, an advisory committee shall be established to nominate candidates for mentor teacher positions on the basis of program area, subject area, or other criteria. The committee shall be composed of a majority of classroom teachers selected by other classroom teachers.
A teacher seeking designation as a mentor shall submit his/her written application to the committee in accordance with the deadline established by the Superintendent or designee.
The committee shall verify that mentor teacher candidates fulfill the qualifications established by law and the district, interview candidates, and observe them in the classroom.
A majority vote of the committee shall be necessary to recommend candidates to the principal. The principal shall determine whether the candidates meet the needs of the school.
Certificated Staff Mentoring Program
1. Has a professional clear credential authorizing him/her to teach at the same grade levels and in the same subject matter as the beginning teachers or interns to whom he/she is assigned
(cf. 4112.2 - Certification)
(cf. 4112.21 - Interns)
(cf. 4112.22 - Staff Teaching Students of Limited English Proficiency)
(cf. 4112.23 - Special Education Staff)
(cf. 4131.1 - Beginning Teacher Support/Induction)
2. Has at least seven years of recent experience instructing at one or more of the same grade levels and in the same subject matter as the beginning teachers or interns to whom he/she is assigned
3. Teaches in a "staff priority school," defined as a school with an aggregate Academic Performance Index at or below the 30th percentile (deciles 1-3) relative to other public schools in the state in any of the five previous school years
4. Agrees to provide assistance to at least one and not more than five interns or beginning teachers for a period of at least five years
(cf. 4113 - Assignment)
5. Meets the needs of the school and has demonstrated ability to foster student achievement and learning, as determined by the school principal
(cf. 4112.24 - Teacher Qualifications Under the No Child Left Behind Act)
(cf. 4115 - Evaluation/Supervision)
Regulation DELANO JOINT UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: March 10, 2009 Delano, California