El Dorado Union HSD | AR 5113.11 Students
The Superintendent or designee shall appoint an attendance supervisor and any assistant attendance supervisor(s) as may be necessary to supervise the attendance of District students. (Education Code 48240)
Such supervisors shall perform duties related to compulsory full-time education, truancy, compulsory continuation education, work permits, and any additional duties prescribed by the Superintendent or designee. (Education Code 48240)
(cf. 5112.1 - Exemptions from Attendance)
(cf. 5113 - Absences and Excuses)
(cf. 5113.1 - Chronic Absence and Truancy)
(cf. 5113.2 - Work Permits)
(cf. 6184 - Continuation Education)
The attendance supervisor shall promote a culture of attendance and establish a system to accurately track student attendance in order to achieve all of the following: (Education Code 48240)
1. Raise the awareness of school personnel, parents/guardians, caregivers, community partners, and local businesses of the effects of chronic absenteeism and truancy and other challenges associated with poor attendance.
2. Identify and respond to grade level or student subgroup patterns of chronic absenteeism or truancy.
(cf. 5146 - Married/Pregnant/Parenting Students)
(cf. 6173 - Education for Homeless Children)
(cf. 6173.1 - Education for Foster Youth)
(cf. 6173.2 - Education of Children of Military Families)
(cf. 6175 - Migrant Education Program)
3. Identify and address factors contributing to chronic absenteeism and habitual truancy, including suspension and expulsion.
(cf. 5144.1 - Suspension and Expulsion/Due Process)
(cf. 5144.2 - Suspension and Expulsion/Due Process (Students with Disabilities))
4. Ensure that students with attendance problems are identified as early as possible to provide applicable support services and interventions.
5. Evaluate the effectiveness of strategies implemented to reduce chronic absenteeism rates and truancy rates.
(cf. 0500 - Accountability)
The attendance supervisor may provide support services and interventions, including, but not limited to, the following: (Education Code 48240)
1. A conference between school personnel, the student's parent/guardian, and the student.
2. Promotion of cocurricular and extracurricular activities that increase student connectedness to school, such as tutoring, mentoring, the arts, service learning, or athletics.
(cf. 6142.4 - Service Learning/Community Service Classes)
(cf. 6142.6 - Visual and Performing Arts)
(cf. 6145 - Extracurricular and Cocurricular Activities)
(cf. 6145.2 - Athletic Competition)
3. Recognition of students who achieve excellent attendance or demonstrate significant improvement in attendance.
(cf. 5126 - Awards for Achievement)
4. Referral of the student to a school nurse, school counselor, school psychologist, school social worker, and other student support personnel for case management and counseling.
(cf. 5141.6 - School Health Services)
(cf. 6164.2 - Guidance/Counseling Services)
5. Collaboration with child welfare services, law enforcement, courts, public health care agencies, government agencies, or medical, mental health, and oral health care providers to receive necessary services.
(cf. 1020 - Youth Services)
6. Collaboration with school study teams, guidance teams, school attendance review teams, or other intervention-related teams to assess the attendance or behavior problem in partnership with the student and his/her parents/guardians or caregivers.
(cf. 6164.5 - Student Success Teams)
7. In schools with significantly higher rates of chronic absenteeism, identification of barriers to attendance that may require schoolwide strategies rather than case management.
8. Referral of the student for a comprehensive psychosocial or psychoeducational assessment, including for purposes of creating an individualized education program for a student with disabilities or creating a plan pursuant to Section 504 of the federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
(cf. 6159 - Individualized Education Program)
(cf. 6164.6 - Identification and Education Under Section 504)
(cf. 5113.12 - District School Attendance Review Board)
10. Referral of the student to a truancy mediation program operated by the county's district attorney or probation officer pursuant to Education Code 48260.6.
(cf. 5147 - Dropout Prevention)
1740 Employment of personnel to supervise attendance (county superintendent)
37223 Weekend classes
46000 Records (attendance)
46110-46119 Attendance in kindergarten and elementary schools
46140-46147 Attendance in junior high and high schools
48200-48208 Children ages 6-18 (compulsory full-time attendance)
48240-48246 Supervisors of attendance
48290-48297 Failure to comply; complaints against parents
48320-48325 School attendance review boards
48340-48341 Improvement of student attendance
48400-48403 Compulsory continuation education
52060-52077 Local control and accountability plan
60901 Chronic absence
270.1 Chronic truancy; parent/guardian misdemeanor
WELFARE AND INSTITUTIONS CODE
601-601.4 Habitually truant minors
11253.5 Compulsory school attendance
CODE OF REGULATIONS, TITLE 5
306 Explanation of absence
420-421 Record of verification of absence due to illness and other causes
CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION PUBLICATIONS
School Attendance Review Board Handbook, 2015
School Attendance Improvement Handbook, 2000
Attendance Works: http://www.attendanceworks.org
California Association of Supervisors of Child Welfare and Attendance: http://www.cascwa.org
California Department of Education: http://www.cde.ca.gov
Regulation EL DORADO UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: December 11, 2018 Placerville, California