El Dorado Union HSD | AR 5112.1 Students
Exemptions From Attendance
Exemptions from Regular Education Program
A student may be exempted from full-time attendance in the district's regular education program if he/she:
1. Is being instructed in a private full-time school and the Superintendent or designee verifies that the private school has filled an affidavit pursuant to Education Code 33190. (Education Code 48222, 48223)
2. Is being instructed by a private tutor who holds a valid state credential for the grade taught, provided that the instruction consists of study and recitation for at least 3 hours a day for 175 days of each calendar year. (Education Code 48224)
3. Holds a work permit to work temporarily in the entertainment or allied industry. (Education Code 48225, 48225.2)
(cf. 5113.2 - Work Permits)
4. Holds work permits and attends part-time classes. (Education Code 48230)
5. Is between the ages of 12 and 18 and enters a school attendance area from another state within 10 days of the end of the school term, with the exemption applicable for the remainder of the term. (Education Code 48231)
6. Is at least age 15 and taking a leave of absence for up to one semester for the purpose of supervised travel and study, training, or work not available to the student under another educational option. (Education Code 48232)
(cf. 5112.3 - Student Leave of Absence)
7. Attends a community college as a special full-time student on the grounds that he/she would benefit from advanced scholastic or vocational work. (Education Code 48800.5)
(cf. 6172.1 - Concurrent Enrollment in College Classes)
Exemptions from Continuation Education
1. Has graduated from a public or private high school maintaining a 4-year course above grade 8 or has had an equal amount of education in a private school or from a private tutor.
In the case of a private school, the exemption shall be granted only if the Superintendent or designee has verified that the private school has filed an affidavit pursuant to Education Code 33190. (Education Code 48415)
2. Has successfully demonstrated proficiency equal or greater than standards established by the California Department of Education and has verified approval submitted by his/her parent/guardian.
(cf. 6146.2 - Certificate of Proficiency/High School Equivalency)
3. Is attending a public or private full-time day school, or satisfactory part-time classes maintained by other agencies.
4. Is attending adult school for not less than 4 hours per week.
(cf. 6200 - Adult Education)
5. Is attending a regional occupation program or center pursuant to Education Code 48432.
(cf. 6178.2 - Regional Occupational Center/Program)
6. Is disqualified because of his/her physical or mental condition or because of personal services that must be rendered to his/her dependents.
(cf. 5141.22 - Infectious Diseases)
(cf. 5146 - Married/Pregnant/Parenting Students)
(cf. 6158 - Independent Study)
(cf. 6183 - Home and Hospital Instruction)
(cf. 6184 - Continuation Education)
7. Is between the ages of 12 and 18 and enters a school attendance area from another state within 10 days of the end of the school term, with the exemption applicable for the remainder of the term pursuant to Education Code 48231.
In addition, a student who is between the ages of 16 and 18 may be exempted from continuation education if he/she is taking a leave of absence for up to 2 semesters for the purpose of supervised travel, study, training, or work not available to the student under another educational option. (Education Code 48416)
Regulation EL DORADO UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: November 23, 1999 Placerville, California
revised: September 23, 2008