topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

El Dorado Union HSD |  BP  6145.6  Instruction

International Exchange   

arrow Previous bar Next arrow

The Governing Board recognizes the benefits of international exchange programs in providing students with unique opportunities for academic achievement, enrichment and a deeper understanding of different cultures around the world.

With Board approval, a District school may establish a sister-school relationship with a school in another country.

District Students Studying in Another Country

School counselors may provide information regarding international exchange programs and academic counseling to district students who wish to study in a foreign country. Such counseling shall include a review of the student's completed coursework, academic achievement, and personal goals, and shall advise the student regarding requirements that the student must meet during attendance in the foreign school in order to maintain progress toward meeting District graduation requirements.

(cf. 6146.1 - High School Graduation Requirements)

(cf. 6164.2 - Guidance/Counseling Services)

Credit for courses successfully completed in the foreign country shall be granted in accordance with Board policy and administrative regulation.

(cf. 6146.11 - Alternative Credits Toward Graduation)

International Exchange Students In District Schools

Before enrolling an international exchange student in a District school, the Superintendent or designee shall request proof that the student is participating in an International Student Exchange Placement Organization (ISEPO) program registered with the California Attorney General's Office.

The Superintendent or designee shall obtain from the ISEPO a description of the services to be performed by the ISEPO for the student, host family, and the District; telephone numbers that the student, host family, or District may contact for assistance; and a summary of the student's complete prior academic coursework completed. (Government Code 12628; 22 CFR 62.25)

The District may require additional documents which may include, but are not limited to, evidence that the student has health and accident insurance from the time of departure from home to the time the student returns to the home country. (11 CCR 360; 22 CFR 62.25)

When necessary because of overcrowding within District schools and limited District resources, the Superintendent or designee may limit the number of international exchange students to be accepted at any District high school during any school year.

The District shall not incur financial obligation when educating international exchange students. An international student, or the ISEPO on behalf of the student, shall reimburse the District for the full, unsubsidized per capita cost of providing education at a District school for the period of the visiting student's attendance.

(cf. 3260 - Fees and Charges)

In determining the tuition for international exchange students, the District shall calculate the total cost of educating the student, including, but not limited to, the amount expended per student for the current provision of instruction and services, the use of buildings and equipment, the repayment of local bonds and interest payments and state building loan funds, capital outlay, and transportation to and from school.

The Superintendent or designee shall establish District criteria for issuing regular or honorary diplomas to international exchange students. The principal or designee shall refer to these criteria when assisting international exchange students in selecting classes and cocurricular activities based on the student(s individual qualifications, needs, and interests.

(cf. 5127 - Graduation Ceremonies and Activities)

(cf. 6146.1 - High School Graduation Requirements)

(cf. 6146.3 - Reciprocity of Academic Credit)

Legal Reference:


35160 Authority of governing boards

35160.1 Broad authority of school districts

35185 Miscellaneous administrative authority

48052 Nonresidents

48204.4 Evidence of residency for school enrollment

51225.5 Honorary diplomas; foreign exchange students


12620-12630 International Student Exchange Visitor Placement Organizations

87100 General prohibition, conflict of interest


350-384 California Uniform Supervision of International Student Exchange Visitor Placement Organizations


214.2 Students in academic high schools


62.25 Secondary school students exchange visitor program

Management Resources:


Legal Guidance Regarding International Student Exchange Placement Organizations, 2014



California Interscholastic Federation:

California Office of the Attorney General, ISEPO:

Council on Standards for International Educational Travel:

U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs:

U.S. Department of State, Exchange Visitor Program:

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement:


adopted: November 23, 1999 Placerville, California

revised: March 8, 2005

revised: August 25, 2020