topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

El Dorado Union HSD |  AR  6146.3  Instruction

Reciprocity Of Academic Credit   

arrow Previous bar Next arrow

The El Dorado Union High School District recognizes the value of students having access to courses available through the Internet, correspondence courses, and other programs existing outside and external to the district. The following policy addresses the transfer of external courses for credit toward graduation in the El Dorado Union High School District.


An "accredited" school is one that has received accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) or the other five statewide or regional commissions of accreditation. An "external" course is completed in a program outside the schools or programs of the El Dorado Union High School District.

Transfers from Accredited Schools

Students transferring into the district from an accredited school shall receive full academic credit for previously completed courses when the sending district verifies that the student has successfully completed those courses. During their term of residence in the district, EDUHSD students may not use external courses to replace district core academic courses required for graduation.

(cf. 6011 - Academic Standards)

(cf. 6143 - Courses of Study)

(cf. 6146.1 - High School Graduation Requirements)

(cf. 6146.11 - Alternative Credits Toward Graduation)

(cf. 6146.2 - Certificate of Proficiency/High School Equivalency)

(cf. 6146.5 - Elementary/Middle School Graduation Requirements)

Transfers from Non-Accredited Schools

When a student transfers from any nonaccredited private, public, alternative, home, or charter school, the granting of academic credit shall be subject to approval by the school principal at the enrolled school. Credits transferred from these schools shall be accepted when there is evidence that the course work completed is equivalent to similar courses that align with state and district standards offered in this district. The district shall accept for credit any course work satisfactorily completed by students while detained in a juvenile court school or county or state operated institution.

(cf. 0420.4 - Charter Schools)

(cf. 6181 - Alternative Schools)

The principal at the enrolling school shall be responsible for determining which of the student's credits are equivalent to district requirements. In determining equivalency, the principal may consider one or more of the following:

1. A review of the description of academic content, learning standards, and time requirements of the course work completed by the student compared to the academic content, learning standards, and time requirements of the enrolling school.

2. An examination of the student's portfolio of work, papers, completed projects, graded tests, or other documents demonstrating the student's skill and mastery levels

(cf. 5121 - Grades/Evaluation of Student Achievement)

(cf. 6146.11 - Alternative Credits Toward Graduation)

3. An opportunity for the student to demonstrate skill by his/her performance on appropriate course challenging examinations, comprehensive final examinations, and/or other culminating exercises used at the enrolling school.

(cf. 6155 - Challenging Courses by Examination)

Credit for External Courses Taken by EDUHSD Students

Students enrolled in the EDUHSD may not use external course credit to replace district core academic courses required for graduation. In rare cases, based upon unique student hardships, the principal may authorize through prior approval the use of an external course to satisfy a district graduation requirement. When seeking elective credit for courses taken outside the EDUHSD, students must apply for credit with the school principal prior to enrolling in the course.

The approval of external courses for high school credit shall be predicated on the congruence of the course with the California and district content standards. EDUHSD students may transfer a maximum of 40 elective credits into the district from accredited external institutions. Weighted grades for Advanced Placement courses taken on the Internet will be granted if the student earns a score of a three or better on the College Board Advanced Placement test for that subject. Credit for Advanced Placement courses and all other courses taken on the Internet must also be preapproved by the school principal. Students taking Internet courses may be required to pass the final exam for the equivalent district course to receive elective credit toward graduation. This process ensures that the student has mastered the content of the course before granting credit.

For course credit and the grade from an accredited university, college, or community college to be included on the high school transcript, students must receive prior approval from the school's principal and their counselor, and the course must meet one of the three following criteria:

1. The course meets the narrow band of college courses which exceed the most rigorous course of study offered in a sequence of courses at the student's high school, as defined in AR 5121. All courses being considered must represent the next logical course in a sequence and would be eligible for a weighted grade.

2. The course is approved for high school graduation credit by the school's principal and counselor, in lieu of a course that was first attempted at the student's high school.

3. The course allows the student to meet the University of California a-g entrance requirements in a manner that was not possible for this student at their high school. This course must be preapproved by the school's principal.

All other university, college, or community college courses will not be included on the student's high school transcript. Community college courses that do not meet one of the three criteria listed above will not be used to determine class rank, grade-point average, graduation status, or academic awards.

Appeals/Due Process

Students with extraordinary circumstances may apply in writing to the school principal to waive any condition defined in this policy. The principal will meet with the student and the parent and will respond in writing within 10 school days, granting preapproval for access to the external program and subsequent credits, or the rationale for rejecting the waiver request.

If a student or parent/guardian disagrees with the principal's judgment, the parent/guardian may appeal to the Assistant Superintendent for Educational Services. Within 10 working days of notification of the principal's decision, the parent may request a conference with the Assistant Superintendent for Educational Services. This meeting may include the school principal, representatives of the certificated staff, the student, and their parent. It shall be the student and the parent's responsibility to present evidence that the facts do not support the principal's decision.

Parents and students may further appeal the decision of the Assistant Superintendent for Educational Services to the Superintendent. The Superintendent's decision on this appeal shall be final.


approved: December 12, 2000 Placerville, California

revised: March 25, 2008

revised: March 2013