El Dorado Union HSD | BB 9121 Board Bylaws
President Of The Board
The Governing Board shall elect a president from among its members to provide leadership on behalf of the Board and the educational community it serves.
(cf. 9000 - Role of the Board)
(cf. 9005 - Governance Standards)
(cf. 9100 - Organization)
The president of the Board (president) shall preside at all Board meetings. He/she shall:
1. Call the meeting to order at the appointed time.
2. Announce the business to come before the Board in its proper order.
3. Enforce the Board's policies relating to the conduct of meetings and help ensure compliance with applicable requirements of the Brown Act.
4. Recognize persons who desire to speak, and protect the speaker who has the floor from disturbance or interference.
5. Explain what the effect of a motion would be if it is not clear to every member.
6. Restrict discussion to the question when a motion is before the Board.
7. Rule on issues of parliamentary procedure.
8. Put motions to a vote, and state clearly the results of the vote.
9. Be responsible for the orderly conduct of all Board meetings.
(cf. 9323 - Meeting Conduct)
The president shall perform other duties in accordance with law and Board policy, including, but not limited to:
1. Signing all instruments, acts, and orders necessary to carry out state requirements and the will of the Board.
2. Consulting with the Superintendent or designee on the preparation of the Board's agendas.
(cf. 9322 - Agenda/Meeting Materials)
3. Working with the Superintendent to ensure that Board members have necessary materials and information.
4. Calling such meetings of the Board as he/she may deem necessary, giving notice as prescribed by law.
(cf. 9320 - Meetings and Notices)
(cf. 9321 - Closed Session Purposes and Agendas)
5. Representing the district as governance spokesperson, in conjunction with the Superintendent.
(cf. 1112 - Media Relations)
6. Serve as the representative to the El Dorado Union High School District Financing Corporation Board (COPS).
7. Serve as the district's representative on the Evelyn Horn Scholarship Trust #747 Committee In determining scholarship recipients of scholarship funds administered by Westamerica Bank, Sacramento.
The Board president shall have the same rights as other members of the Board, including the right to move, second, discuss and vote on all questions before the Board.
When the president resigns or is absent or disabled, the clerk shall perform the president's duties. When both the president and clerk are absent or disabled, the Board shall, by majority vote of those Board members present, choose a president pro tempore to perform the president's duties.
(cf. 9123 - Clerk)
35022 President of the board
35143 Annual organizational meetings; dates and notice
54950-54963 Ralph M. Brown Act
Board Presidents( Handbook revised 2002
CSBA Professional Governance Standards, 2000
Maximizing School Board Leadership: Boardsmanship, 1966
Bylaw EL DORADO UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: June 16, 1992 Placerville, California
revised: October 14, 2003
revised: November 10, 2015