El Dorado Union HSD | AR 5113 Students
Absences And Excuses
Subject to any applicable limitation, condition, or other requirement specified in law, a student(s absence shall be excused for any of the following reasons:
1. Personal illness. (Education Code 48205)
2. Quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer. (Education Code 48205)
(cf. 5112.2 - Exclusions from Attendance)
3. Medical, dental, optometrical, or chiropractic appointment. (Education Code 48205)
4. Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family.
Such absence shall be limited to one (1) day if the service is conducted in California or three (3) days if the service is conducted out of state. (Education Code 48205)
5. Jury duty in the manner provided by law. (Education Code 48205)
6. The illness or medical appointment of a child to whom the student is the custodial parent. (Education Code 48205)
(cf. 5146 - Married/Pregnant/Parenting Students)
7. Upon advance written request by the parent/guardian and the approval of the principal or designee, justifiable personal reasons including, but not limited to: (Education Code 48205)
a. Appearance in court.
b. Attendance at a funeral service.
c. Observation of a religious holiday or ceremony.
d. Attendance at religious retreats for no more than four (4) hours per semester.
e. Attendance at an employment conference.
f. Attendance at an educational conference on the legislative or judicial process offered by a nonprofit organization.
(cf. 6142.3 - Civic Education)
9. To spend time with an immediate family member who is an active duty member of the uniformed services, as defined in Education Code 49701, and has been called to duty for deployment to a combat zone or a combat support position or is on leave from or has immediately returned from such deployment. (Education Code 48205)
(cf. 6173.2 - Education of Children of Military Families)
10. To attend a naturalization ceremony to become a United States citizen. (Education Code 48205)
11 Participation in religious exercises or to receive moral and religious instruction at the student's place of worship or other suitable place away from school. (Education Code 46014)
(cf. 6141.2 - Recognition of Religious Beliefs and Customs)
Absence for student participation in religious exercises or instruction shall not be considered an absence for the purpose of computing average daily attendance if the student attends at least the minimum school day as specified in AR 6112 - School Day, and is not excused from school for this purpose on more than four (4) days per school month. (Education Code 46014)
(cf. 6112 - School Day)
12. Work in the entertainment or allied industry. (Education Code 48225.5)
Such absence shall be excused provided that the student holds a work permit authorizing such work and is absent for a period of not more than five (5) consecutive days and up to five (5) absences per school year. (Education Code 48225.5)
13. Participation with a nonprofit performing arts organization in a performance for a public school audience. (Education Code 48225.5)
A student may be excused for up to five (5) such absences per school year provided that the student's parent/guardian provides a written explanation of such absence to the school. (Education Code 48225.5)
For the purpose of the absences described above, immediate family means the student's parent/guardian, brother or sister, grandparent, or any other relative living in the student's household. (Education Code 48205)
METHOD OF VERIFICATION
Student absence to care for a child for whom the student is the custodial parent shall not require a physician's note. (Education Code 48205)
For other absences, the student shall, upon returning to school following the absence, present a satisfactory explanation verifying the reason for the absence. Absences shall be verified by the student(s parent/guardian, other person having charge or control of the student, or the student if age 18 or older. (Education Code 46012; 5 CCR 306)
When an absence is planned, the principal or designee shall be notified prior to the date of the absence when possible.
The following methods may be used to verify student absences:
1. Written note, fax, email, or voice mail from parent/guardian or parent representative.
2. Conversation, in person or by telephone, between the verifying employee and the student(s parent/guardian or parent representative. The employee shall subsequently record the following:
a. Name of student.
b. Name of parent/guardian or parent representative.
c. Name of verifying employee.
d. Date(s) of absence.
e. Reason for absence.
(cf. 5113.11 - Attendance Supervision)
3. Visit to the student(s home by the verifying employee, or any other reasonable method which establishes the fact that the student was absent for the reasons stated. The employee shall document the verification and include the information specified in item #2 above.
4. Physician(s verification.
a. When excusing students for confidential medical services or verifying such appointments, District staff shall not ask the purpose of such appointments but may request a note from the medical office to confirm the time of the appointment.
b. If a student shows a pattern of chronic absenteeism due to illness, District staff may require physician verification of any further student absences.
(cf. 5113.1 - Chronic Absence and Truancy)
At the beginning of each school year, the Superintendent or designee shall:
1. Notify parents/guardians of the right to excuse a student from school in order to participate in religious exercises or to receive moral and religious instruction at their places of worship, or at other suitable places away from school property designated by a religious group, church, or denomination. (Education Code 46014, 48980)
2. Notify students in grades 7-12 and the parents/guardians of all students enrolled in the District that school authorities may excuse any student from school to obtain confidential medical services without the consent of the student's parent/guardian. (Education Code 46010.1)
3. Notify parents/guardians that a student shall not have his/her grade reduced or lose academic credit for any excused absence if missed assignments and tests that can reasonably be provided are satisfactorily completed within a reasonable period of time. Such notice shall include the full text of Education Code 48205(b) in the notice. (Education Code 48980)
(cf. 5121 - Grades/Evaluation of Student Achievement)
(cf. 5145.6 - Parental Notifications)
(cf. 6154 - Homework/Makeup Work)
Regulation EL DORADO UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: May 11, 1999 Placerville, California
revised: January 10, 2012
revised: September 12, 2017
revised: June 25, 2019