Elk Grove USD | AR 1325 Community Relations
Advertising And Promotion
Public information materials approved by the Superintendent or designee may be disseminated by students on a voluntary basis. Unless generated by the school, surveys or questionnaires requiring student or parent/guardian response also must be first approved by the Superintendent or designee.
(cf. 6162.8 -Research)
All informational materials to be distributed shall bear the name and contact location of the sponsoring group.
The superintendent or designee may approve:
1. Distribution of non commercial materials that publicize services, special events, public meetings or other items of interest to students or paren6ts/guardians.
2. Paid Advertisements in school-sponsored publications, yearbooks, announcements and other school communications.
3. Products and materials donated by commercial enterprises for use in the classroom, as long as they serve educational purpose, are in accordance with the Elk Grove Unified School District's Wellness Policy, and do not unduly promote any commercial activity or products. Such materials may bear the name and/pr logo of the donor.
All flyers must:
1. Be submitted to the appropriate office, either PreK-6 and/or Secondary Education for approval.
2. Include the sponsoring enterprise's non-profit tax identification number.
3. Include the District disclaimer, "This is not an Elk Grove Unified School District sponsored program. Elk Grove Unified School District accepts no liability or responsibility for this program/activity."
Materials regarding commercial products or services may not be sent home by students but may be posted in district schools only when prior approval has been granted by the Superintendent or designee. Unauthorized printed material may not be distributed or posted on school grounds.
School newsletters, official school websites/pages/portals are operated as limited public forums and may not include commercial advertising.
District schools shall not distribute unsolicited merchandise for which an ensuing payment is requested.
Materials may not be distributed to students or advertised in school-sponsored publications if they:
Are obscene, libelous, or slanderous. (Education Code 48907).
Incite students to commit unlawful acts, violate school rules, or disrupt the school's orderly operation. (Education Code 48907)
3. Promote many particular political interest, candidate, party or ballot measure, unless such materials are being distributed at a forum in which candidates or advocates from all sides are presenting their views to the students during school hours or during events scheduled pursuant to the Civic Center Act.
4. Discriminate against, attack or denigrate any group on account of ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion or political beliefs, or disadvantage; or promote one group over another.
5. Promote the use or sale of materials or services which are illegal or inconsistent with school objectives. Ads for tobacco, intoxicants, and x-rated movies or products shall not be used.
6. Solicit funds or services for an organization, with the exception of solicitations authorized in Board policy.
7. Announce the meetings of non-curricular student-initiated groups.
(cf. 0410 - Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities)
(cf. 1321 - Solicitation of Funds From and By Students)
(cf. 6000 - Instruction: Concepts and Roles)
(cf. 6145.5 - Student Organizations and Equal Access)
Before publication, the Superintendent or designee shall review all advertising copy to assure that it complies with the provisions of Board policy and administrative regulations.
The Elk Grove Unified School District and its schools reserve the right to deny advertising space to any business and/or individual promoting or selling goods or services that are inconsistent with the school educational mission, that would inject the school into a community controversy,
or subject matter that poses a foreseeable risk of creating community controversy, or is inappropriate for the age of the students and family members who may read the publication.
Regulation ELK GROVE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: October 3, 1994 Elk Grove, California
revised: December 8, 2010