Elk Grove USD | BP 4000 Personnel
Concept And Roles
The Board of Education wishes to establish, through the personnel policies and regulations of the district, conditions that will attract and hold the best qualified personnel for all positions, who will devote themselves to the education and welfare of the students of the district. The Board of Education embraces the legislature's intent to encourage teachers to pursue excellence within their profession, provide incentives to teachers of demonstrated ability and expertise to stay in the public school system and to restore teaching to its position of primary importance in the state educational system. The policies in this section shall reflect these concepts.
The Board believes that its personnel policies must be developed through the cooperation and participation of the employee organizations, the administrative staff, and the board, in an atmosphere of mutual faith and good will.
The Board affirms its intention to have all policies, regulations and procedures of the district conform to all requirements of law and state regulations, including affirmative action, equal employment opportunity, district-wide single standard salary schedules, and comparable staffing, programs, instructional supplies and curriculum materials.
Provisions for the implementation of adopted policies should include channels of communication and procedures for the handling of professional and ethical problems, through which all persons or groups affected may voice their opinions.
The Board of Education
1. Adopts wage and salary schedules.
2. Elects or rejects employees on the nomination of the Superintendent.
3. Determines principles of treatment for employees, such as those in connection with sick leave, leaves of absence, in-service training, retirement, etc., either through the policies and regulations of the district or through negotiations with exclusive representatives (employee organizations).
4. Serves as a court of appeal in cases referred by the Superintendent, or which may be appealed by employees directly from the Superintendent's judgment, or as specified in adopted employee organization bargaining agreements.
1. Nominates for employment all certificated and classified personnel.
2. Recommends disciplinary action, including suspension and dismissal, against employees whenever there is sufficient evidence warranting any such action according to board policy and administrative regulations, and/or state or federal laws and regulations.
3. With the staff, assigns, directs and supervises the work of all employees with due regard for the individual rights involved, proposes salary schedules for staff members not covered by an employee organization agreement, and serves as consultant to the board throughout negotiations with employee organizations on all matters under negotiations.
Working Relationships between Board and Superintendent
The Board desires to be guided principally by the advice of the Superintendent in regard to its relations with certificated and classified personnel.
The Board does not desire to exercise its employment responsibilities contrary to the recommendation of the Superintendent, and will not employee any person unless recommended by the Superintendent. If a nomination by the Superintendent is not acceptable to the board the nomination shall be withdrawn, and the Superintendent shall present other nominations to the board for consideration.
The Board agrees that all approaches by employees to the board or to the individual members of the board shall be referred to the Superintendent for consideration and judgment, and to act as a court of appeals only after referrals have been made to the Superintendent.
The Board desires that the Superintendent conduct the district's personnel relations with fair and sound practices approved
35020 Duties of employees fixed by governing board
35035 Powers and duties of superintendent
35160 Powers of governing board
44490 Incentives to teachers of demonstrated ability
12940 et seq. Discrimination prohibited; Unlawful practices generally by the board.
Policy ELK GROVE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: December 3, 1984 Elk Grove, California