Elk Grove USD | BP 6170 Instruction
Specialized Instructional Programs
The Board of Education recognizes its obligation to provide an appropriate educational program for all students who live in the district. Since not all students can properly be served by the standard programs offered in the district's comprehensive high schools, it shall be the purpose of the district to provide alternative programs to students with special needs; such programs will focus on providing such students with the assistance necessary to help them meet the district requirements for high school graduation.
Alternative Education Programs
1. Continuation high schools (Daylor, Omochumnes, Pioneer, Rio Cazadero) --Enrollment in continuation high school will be maintained at its current proportion to total 9-12 enrollment (16%) as long as it is justified by the need.
2. Other existing programs such as independent study, cyesis, parenting, opportunity, and work experience --Enrollment ~ in these programs may grow to meet identified needs.
3. New programs may be recommended by the Superintendent for board consideration and approval.
Continuation High School and Independent Study Program
The following means of referral are used for the continuation high schools and the independent study program.
1. District school attendance review board.
2. Recommendation and referral from each of the comprehensive schools.
3. Referral from juvenile authorities.
4. Direct request from parent/guardian with appropriate review by school of residence.
5. All referrals for special education students to alternative education programs must be approved by the district alternative placement committee.
Gifted and Talented Student Programs
The Board has established a gifted children program according to the provisions of Education Code 52200 et seq., and will maintain the program according to law and the regulations of the state Department of Education.
(cf. 6172 -Gifted and Talented Student Program)
44865 Qualifications of teachers, opportunity schools
46180 Hours for classes, opportunity schools
48400 et seq. Compulsory continuation education in general, especially
48401 Weekly minimum attendance requirement
48402 Minors not regularly employed
48410 Persons exempted from continuation classes
48412 Certificate of proficiency; examination fees
48413 Enrollment in continuation classes
48414 Persons exempted from compulsory continuation education; re-enrollment in district
48430 Legislative intent; continuation of education schools and classes
48431 Establishment and maintenance of guidance placement and follow-up program
48432 Establishment and maintenance of continuation classes for minors
48432.5 Involuntary transfer to continuation school
48433 Minimum hours of instruction
48434 Hours when classes are maintained
48443 study of effectiveness of continuation education classes
48630-48639 Opportunity schools, generally
52200 et seq. Gifted and talented pupil program
54400 et seq. Compensatory education
WELFARE AND INSTITUTIONS CODE
865 Establishment and maintenance of public schools in juvenile hall
ADMINISTRATIVE CODE, TITLE 5
3640-3641 Day classes for pregnant minors
3800-3870 Gifted and Talented pupil Program
Policy ELK GROVE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: October 29, 1984 Elk Grove, California