(a) The Legislature finds and declares that the effectiveness of child care and development programs can be increased through improved state administration, technical assistance to provider agencies, and monitoring.
(b) It is the intent of the Legislature:
(1) That the State Department of Education develop clear, consistent, and appropriate regulations for child care and development programs to replace policy guidelines which are not subject to the public hearing process, often inconsistent, and without the force of law.
(2) That the State Department of Education make better use of staff with direct field experience in child development programs.
(3) That better criteria be developed for the awarding, evaluating, and renewal of child care and development contracts.
(4) That improvements be made in the method of reimbursing child care and development program providers.
(5) That increased effort be made to provide program operators with technical assistance in meeting their contractual obligations.
(Added by Stats. 1984, Ch. 1617, Sec. 1.)