(a) All of the following child care and development programs, other than those providing extended day care services, shall be eligible to receive a loan for the renovation and repair of facilities used for the program or to lease relocatable facilities to be used for the program:
(1) Private nonprofit child care and development programs currently, or soon to be, under contract with the State Department of Education pursuant to Section 8262.
(2) Child care and development programs conducted pursuant to Article 4 (commencing with Section 8225).
(3) Child care and development programs operated by, or in a facility owned by, a public entity.
(4) Child care and development programs conducted pursuant to Article 7.1 (commencing with Section 54740) of Chapter 9 of Part 29.
(b) A recipient of a loan pursuant to this section shall document that the renovated facility shall comply with all laws and regulations applicable to child care facilities provided for pursuant to Chapter 3.4 (commencing with Section 1596.70) and Chapter 3.5 (commencing with Section 1596.90) of Division 2 of the Health and Safety Code.
(c) A recipient of a loan pursuant to this section shall assure the board that the renovated facility shall be used for the purposes of the child care and development program for the entire loan period, which shall be determined by the board as follows:
(1) For loans equal to or less than thirty thousand dollars ($30,000), not less than three years.
(2) For loans exceeding thirty thousand dollars ($30,000), the loan period shall increase one year for each additional ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or part thereof, to a maximum of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000).
(d) Interest on the loan principal shall be charged at a rate equal to the average of the interest rate applied to the last three bond sales pursuant to Chapter 21.6 (commencing with Section 17695) of Part 10.
(e) In the event that a recipient ceases to use the renovated facility for purposes of the child care and development program prior to the expiration of the loan period, the board shall collect the entire outstanding balance of the loan, plus interest, notwithstanding the loan period originally set pursuant to subdivision (c), unless the board deems it appropriate to waive repayment at that time.
(f) If the renovated facility has been continuously used for purposes of the child care and development program for the entire loan period, the board shall waive repayment of the amount of the loan principal, plus interest, at the end of the loan period.
(Amended by Stats 2000, Ch. 1057, Sec. 2)
Education Code 8225
Education Code 17695 (Repealed by Stats. 1995, Ch. 552, Sect. 18.)
Education Code 54740
Health and Safety Code 1596.70
Health and Safety Code 1596.90