(a) There has been developed by the department the California Education Information System, hereinafter in this chapter called "the system." The function of the system is to establish, conduct, and by continuous concern keep up to date a basic, integrated, statewide information system for education.
(b) The system includes both of the following:
(1) The California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System pursuant to Chapter 10 (commencing with Section 60900) of Part 33, which maintains pupil data regarding demographic, program participation, enrollment, and statewide assessments, in addition to data contained in the California Basic Educational Data System, including certificated staff information collected through the Professional Assignment Information Form prepared by the department.
(2) The California Longitudinal Teacher Integrated Data Education System developed pursuant to Section 10601.5, which enables analysis of workforce trends, evaluation of teacher preparation programs, and the monitoring of teacher assignments. The California Longitudinal Teacher Integrated Data Education System shall maintain data regarding the certificated workforce that is not maintained in the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System and consolidate data that is collected by state agencies and local educational agencies.
(c) Data elements and codes included in the system shall be maintained in compliance with all of the following:
(1) Chapter 6.5 (commencing with Section 49060) of Part 27 and any regulations adopted pursuant thereto.
(2) Section 49602.
(3) Section 56347.
(4) The Information Practices Act of 1977 (Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 1798) of Title 1.8 of Part 4 of Division 3 of the Civil Code).
(5) The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (20 U.S.C. SEC. 1232g) and any federal regulations adopted pursuant thereto.
(6) Any other applicable federal or state law that can be interpreted as protecting the privacy and confidentiality of individual pupils or certificated personnel.
(d) The department shall adopt regulations to implement this section.
(Amended by Stats. 2009, Ch. 159, Sec. 1.)
20 USC 1232g
Civil Code 1798
Education Code 10601.5
Education Code 49060
Education Code 49602
Education Code 56347
Education Code 60900