(a) The Legislature, through the enactment of this section, expresses its commitment to encourage and support collaboration and coordination among all segments of education.
(b) Within the differentiation of segmental functions outlined in this article, the institutions of higher education shall undertake intersegmental collaboration and coordination particularly when it can do any of the following:
(1) Enhance the achievement of the institutional missions shared by the segments.
(2) Provide more effective planning of postsecondary education on a statewide basis.
(3) Facilitate achievement of the goals of educational equity.
(4) Enable public and independent higher education to meet more effectively the educational needs of a geographic region.
(5) Facilitate student progress from one segment to another, particularly with regard to preparation of students for higher education as well as the transfer from the California Community Colleges to four-year institutions.
(c) The leaders responsible for public and independent institutions of higher education and the Superintendent of Public Instruction shall work together to promote and facilitate the development of intersegmental programs and other cooperative efforts aimed at improving the progress of students through the educational systems and at strengthening the teaching profession at all levels.
(d) The California Postsecondary Education Commission shall have responsibility for reviewing and evaluating the effectiveness of intersegmental activities in accomplishing the established goals, and shall report its findings to the Governor and Legislature biennially.
(Added by Stats. 1991, Ch. 1198, Sec. 4.5.)