(a) The board shall provide an annual listing of distributions to individuals with respect to an interest in a participation agreement to the Franchise Tax Board at a time and in a manner and form as specified by the Franchise Tax Board. The taxpayers' identification numbers obtained through the participation agreement process shall be used exclusively for state and federal tax administration purposes.
(b) The board shall make a report to the appropriate individual of any distribution to any individual with respect to an interest in a participation agreement, at a time and in a form and manner as required by the Franchise Tax Board.
(c) The board also shall report annually to each participant or beneficiary all of the following:
(1) The value of the beneficiary's account.
(2) The interest earned thereon.
(3) The rate of return of the investments in the beneficiary's account for that reporting period.
(4) Information on investments and education costs that participants can use to set savings goals and contribution amounts.
(5) Information regarding the trends in qualified higher education expenses at the state's public segments of higher education, which shall include, but need not be limited to, the following:
(A) The actual increase or decrease in qualified higher education expenses in the prior year.
(B) To the extent possible, any proposals by the segments to increase or decrease fees or tuition in the next fiscal year.
(C) To the extent possible, any proposals by the Legislature or the Governor to increase or decrease fees or tuition in the next fiscal year.
(D) An Internet Web site and toll-free telephone number where the names of the State Senator and Assembly Member who represent the district in which the participant or beneficiary resides, and a business address and telephone number where they may be reached, may be accessed.
(d) The board, as an advocate for affordable higher education opportunities for participants and beneficiaries of the program, shall also provide a means for participants or beneficiaries to express concerns or comments regarding the Scholarshare trust program and any information required to be reported by this section.
(Amended by Stats. 2005, Ch. 318, Sec. 8.)