California Civil Liberties Public Education Grant Program
(a) In the review process, the State Librarian shall assign the following order of priority to the criteria set forth in subdivision (c) of Section 13015:
(1) Criteria set forth in paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive, shall be given highest priority.
(2) Criteria set forth in paragraphs (5) to (6), inclusive, shall be given second priority.
(b) The State Librarian shall consider the overall breadth and variety of the field of applicants to determine the projects that would best fulfill its program and mission. Final grant awards maybe for the full amount of the grant requests or for a portion of the grant request.
(c) Applicants for grants pursuant to this section may include any of the following:
(1) Nonprofit organizations exempt from taxation pursuant to Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
(2) Four-year colleges and universities.
(3) Cultural institutions, arts organizations, and community organizations.
(4) Individual artists, writers, journalists, scholars, and educators.
(5) Units of government.
(6) Consortia composed of any of the entities described in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive.
(d) Grants allocated pursuant to this section shall be provided for the general purpose of establishing a legacy of remembrance as part of a continuing process of recovery from World War II exclusion and detention and specifically to do one or both of the following:
(1) Educate the public regarding the history and the lessons of the World War II exclusion, removal, and detention of persons of Japanese ancestry through the development, coordination, and distribution of new educational materials and the development of curriculum materials to complement and augment resources currently available on this subject matter.
(2) Develop videos, plays, presentations, speaker bureaus, and exhibitions for presentation to elementary, secondary, and community college audiences.13025. On or before January 1, 2001, the State Librarian shall report to the Governor and the appropriate fiscal and policy committees of each house of the Legislature on the types of grants awarded and the accomplishments of the program established pursuant to this part.13030. It is the intent of the Legislature that the sum of one million dollars ($1,000,000) be annually appropriated for three years from the General Fund to the State Librarian for purposes of this chapter.
(Added by Stats. 1998, Ch. 570, Sec. 1.)