(a) The State Department of Education, in consultation with the State Agricultural Advisory Committee shall establish a nonmandatory comprehensive agricultural education program for prekindergarten and kindergarten children and grades 1 to 12, inclusive, to provide statewide coordination for agricultural education in California schools.
(b) The program shall include, but shall not be limited to, the following elements:
(1) The development, review and dissemination of curriculum and instruction materials to ensure accuracy, grade appropriateness, and support of State Standards and Frameworks.
(2) Professional development for student teachers and practicing teachers.
(3) The development of statewide educational activities for pupils.
(4) State level consultation with local education agencies, agricultural organizations, and universities and colleges, for materials review, professional development, and support.
(5) The coordination and monitoring of the regional agricultural education program delivery.
(c) The program shall provide for regional delivery of education in agricultural awareness, literacy, career exploration, and preparation activities that include, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) Development of collaborative models, utilizing matching state and community-based funds, to develop objective, age appropriate materials for use in classrooms within each of California's agriculture production regions.
(2) Technical assistance to local districts and private parties, including agricultural foundations, agricultural associations, nonprofit trade associations and businesses.
(3) Development of a statewide resource center.
(4) Coordination and delivery of professional development activities on a regional basis.
(5) Coordination of regional pupil activities.
(6) Coordination and monitoring of funding within the regions.
(Added by Stats. 1999, Ch. 965, Sec. 1.)