Escondido Union ESD | AR 1230 Community Relations
A school-connected organization's request for authorization to operate within the district or at a district school shall contain, as appropriate:
1. The name and purpose of the organization with a written statement of purpose and bylaw
2. The date of the application
3. Bylaws, rules, and procedures under which the organization will operate, including procedures for maintaining the organization's finances, membership qualifications, if any, and an agreement that the group will not engage in unlawful discrimination
(cf. 0410 - Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities)
4. The names, addresses, and phone numbers of all officers
5. An agreement to grant the district the right to audit the group's financial records, either by district personnel or a certified public accountant, whenever any concern is raised regarding the use of the funds
6. An agreement to acquire a 501(c)3 status for nonprofit organizations or an agreement for the school-connected organization to operate a district-approved 501(c)3 organization such as the PTA or the Escondido Education Foundation
7. A list of specific objectives
8. The name of the bank where the organization's account will be located and the names of those authorized to withdraw funds
9. The signature of the principal of the supporting school
10. An agreement to provide evidence of liability insurance as required by law for sponsored events or activities, including an agreement between the club and district indemnifying the district against any liability resulting from any occurrence resulting in liability at an event or activity sponsored by the school-connected organization
(cf. 1330 - Use of School Facilities)
11. Planned use for any money remaining at the end of the year if the origination is not continued or authorized to continue in the future
Any program, fund-raiser, or other activity sponsored by school-connected organizations shall be authorized and conducted according to board policy, administrative regulations, and school rules. Announcements of events and related parent/guardian permission slips shall clearly indicate that the activity or event is sponsored by the parent/booster organization, not by the school or district.
(cf. 3541.1 - Transportation for School-Related Trips)
Requests for subsequent authorization shall be annually submitted to the superintendent or designee, along with a financial statement showing all income and expenditures from fundraisers. If the superintendent or designee proposes to deny the request for reauthorization, he/she shall present his/her recommendation to the Board of Education for approval.
When deemed necessary by the board or the superintendent or designee, the authorization for a school-connected organization to conduct activities in the district may be revoked at any time.
Each school-connected organization shall abide by the following rules:
1. The organization shall not act as an agent of the district or school.
2. The organization shall not use the district's tax-exempt status and identification number. It shall be responsible for its own tax status, accounting, internal controls, financial reporting, retention of records, and other operations.
3. The organization shall use a separate name and logo. Any use of a name or logo affiliated with the district, a district school, or a school team shall require the prior consent of the Superintendent or designee.
4. Funds of the school-connected organization shall not be co-mingled with district funds, including associated student body funds.
5. The organization shall not hire or directly pay any district employee. If a school-connected organization wishes to pay for additional and/or extracurricular services, the person to provide the services shall be hired through the district's personnel department, provided the Board approves the position. At their discretion, employees may volunteer to perform activities for school-connected organizations during nonworking hours.
ESCONDIDO UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT
July 21, 2016 Escondido, California