(a) The State Chief Information Officer appointed pursuant to Section 11545 of the Government Code shall convene a working group representing, at a minimum, the state board, the Superintendent, the Chancellor of the California Community Colleges, the University of California, the California State University, and any other governmental entities that collect, report, or use individual pupil education data that would become part of the comprehensive education data system. The State Chief Information Officer shall form an advisory committee to the working group that includes school and district administrators, teachers and faculty, education program providers, policymakers, researchers, parents, and pupils.
(b) The working group convened pursuant to this section shall create a strategic plan to link education data systems from all segments and to accomplish all of the following:
(1) Provide an overall structural design for the linked education data systems.
(2) Examine current state education data systems.
(3) Examine the protocols and procedures to be used by state agencies in data processing, including, but not limited to, collecting, storing, manipulating, sharing, retrieving, and releasing data so as to enable each state agency to accurately and efficiently collect and share data with the other state agencies while complying with all applicable state and federal privacy laws.
(4) Identify specific procedures and policies that would be necessary to ensure the privacy of pupil record information so as to meet both federal requirements and the higher expectations of privacy held by the state.
(5) Identify specific procedures and policies that would facilitate the sharing and transfer of data from one segment to another and ultimately to include linkages to workforce data.
(c) The strategic plan shall be delivered by the State Chief Information Officer to the Legislature and the Governor on or before January 1, 2010.
(d) This section may be implemented using federal grant funds received pursuant to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Public Law 111-5) through that act's provision of funds for statewide data systems under the federal Education Technical Assistance Act (20 U.S.C. SEC. 9601 et seq.).
(Amended by Stats. 2009, Ch. 159, Sec. 4.)
20 USC 9601 et seq.
Government Code 11545