(a) The Director of Finance is hereby authorized to act as agent for the state and, in that capacity, to sell the state student loan guarantee program assets and liabilities not retained by the Student Aid Commission to an entity that the director, in consultation with the Treasurer, determines will provide the best combination of each of the following:
(1) The highest price for those state student loan guarantee program assets and liabilities.
(2) The greatest security for the payment of the purchase price.
(3) Demonstrated competence and professional qualifications necessary for the continued satisfactory performance of student loan guarantee services.
(4) The approval of the Secretary of Education.
(5) The quality of student services offered, including, but not necessarily limited to, borrower training in budgeting and financial management, including debt management and other forms of financial literacy.
(6) Borrower transparency or disclosure policies for products or services, or both, offered to students outside of the federal student loan programs.
(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the sale process shall include the steps the director, in consultation with the Treasurer, deems necessary or convenient to achieve the ends set forth in this section. The process shall include, but not necessarily be limited to, all of the following:
(1) The satisfaction of criteria established by the director, in consultation with the Treasurer, consistent with achieving a combination of the best price for those state student loan guarantee program assets and liabilities and the continued operation of student loan guarantee services for California under the Federal Family Education Loan Program. These criteria shall include any pertinent requirements of the Secretary of Education.
(2) A Notice of Request for Qualifications sent by the Director of Finance to each firm currently acting as a state student loan guarantee agency under the Federal Family Education Loan Program and any entity proposed by the Secretary of Education, and advertised in the State Contracts Register pursuant to Sections 14827.1 and 14827.2 of the Government Code. This notice shall include a description of the state student loan guarantee program, a summary description of the state student loan guarantee program assets and liabilities offered for sale, and a description of the due diligence review process to provide potential purchasers with further information regarding the state student loan guarantee program assets and liabilities offered for sale, the selection criteria on which the transaction will be based, the submission requirements and deadlines, and a Department of Finance contact name and telephone number for more information. A copy of the Notice of Request for Qualifications shall be provided to the Joint Legislative Budget Committee within seven days of transmittal to state student loan guarantee agencies.
(3) The evaluation by the director, in consultation with the Treasurer, of all statements timely submitted in response to the Notice of Request for Qualifications sent pursuant to paragraph (2), using the criteria contained in the notice, and, based on those statements, the establishment of a qualified purchasers list.
(Amended by Stats. 2008, Ch. 757, Sec. 24.)
Government Code 14827.1
Government Code 14827.2